PDA

View Full Version : Spybot Scanner popup when programs run- What is it? How to get rid of it?

BobR1
2008-10-04, 06:57
Since the last upgrade (to 1.6.0.31), my Windows 98SE system with Microsoft Office 97 using the Office Shortcut Bar to start programs has been displaying a "scanner" popup whenever I try to start a program from the Office Shortcut Bar.

It takes some time for the popup to appear, it goes through a of scan of the program and then stops displaying two lines indicating "nothing found" and everything halts. The selected program doesn't start and the "scanner" stops at that point. The only other indication is "Scan Finished" and the only available control on the display is "Close".

Upon closing the scanner, nothing else happens- apparently the "scanner" has aborted loading the program from the Microsoft Office Shortcut Bar.

I can load those programs by drilling down through the Programs menu (the old fashioned way), or by using the "quick launch" icons next to the Start button on the Windows task bar (the Spybot File Scanner doesn't molest those apparently).

I looked through the options available in Spybot S&D and the Help files, including the Change detail, and none of it indicates either what this "Spybot S&D File Scanner" is supposed to be, what it's supposed to do, nor most importantly how to TURN IT OFF so it doesn't prevent anything from the Office Shortcut bar from running.

My question is: What is it..? and how to LOSE it...?

EDIT-- I just noticed the Topic added since I searched the Forum looking for similar problems about updating Tea Timer and turning off the "show info balloons" tip.

While the problem described sounds similar, I'm not using Tea Timer, and I don't see any settings in the main Spybot S&D program that address it.

BobR1
2008-10-04, 16:38
OK, well I ended up fixing it myself.

Turns out it was the already known (however, NOT by me and undoubtedly by 99.999% of Spybot users) problem of "Scan with Spybot S&D" being the first entry on the Right-Click context menu.

This had NEVER come up before with my systems until I installed the ...31 upgrade a few days ago, and there was NOTHING anywhere easily findable about how to fix it.

After several days of digging through the Forums I finally found the .ZIP containing the registry files that turn the function off and on and was able to fix THOSE so they'd clear up the problem.

I understand that there probably aren't enough Windows 98 users left in the world to bother about, but really- would it be so difficult to put a note in the "FAQs" (the first place I looked for help with the problem) that tells how to deal with this KNOWN problem..? (And from what I could find, it's not exclusively a W98 problem anyway.)