PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall before upgrade?

evollbach
2008-10-05, 14:26
I forget:before I upgrade spybot S&D, do I need to uninstall the current version on my computer? Also, should I use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall it?

Thanks.

Beth

Greyfox
2008-10-05, 15:21
I forget:before I upgrade spybot S&D, do I need to uninstall the current version on my computer? Also, should I use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall it?

Thanks.

Beth

Beth,
That depends on who you ask. I personally would recommend uninstalling the previous version completely before installing the new one. If you decide to do this, first undo all of the immunisations in the current version, also in Advanced mode->Tools->Resident untick both SD Helper and Teatimer. Then uninstall Spybot via the Add/Remove Programs. You can also then use the "This very small fix" from the link in http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html if you want to completely clear it out.

When you install the new version, look closely at the options offered during the installation. I would recommend NOT getting the updates until after the program has been installed, and not initially having Teatimer active. You can change these settings once the program is installed and is up and running.

Hope this helps.

wyrmrider
2008-10-06, 03:32
It is absolutely essential to use the"small fix" if you have ever had 1.4 or earlier installed

over-wiriting 1.5 usually works but I agree with Greyfox
un-immunize- remove- run "small fix" reboot reinstall and re immunize