PDA

View Full Version : Spybot Stopping Before Finished

Sundancer2008
2008-10-08, 03:41
Had version 1.5.2 but update screwed it up so uninstalled and installed version 1.6.0

However ran 'Check for Problems' but it stopped at 'Running bot-check (26050/288329 zlob.Downloader.bs'. I left it as it was for 2 hrs. but it never completed.

I need help please.

Greyfox
2008-10-08, 09:45
Had version 1.5.2 but update screwed it up so uninstalled and installed version 1.6.0

However ran 'Check for Problems' but it stopped at 'Running bot-check (26050/288329 zlob.Downloader.bs'. I left it as it was for 2 hrs. but it never completed.

I need help please.

Not really enough information
What operating system?
What CPU, type and speed?
How much memory total, and spare prior to running Spybot?

Importantly - did you completely uninstall 1.5.2 after it was "screwed up" before you installed 1.6.0.30. If you didn't, I'd suggest this is a good starting point. Undo the present immunisations, untick Teatimer and SDHelper in Advanced->Tools->Resident. Then uninstall the present installation. I would suggest you then use "This small fix" from http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html.

Download a complete new copy of the current version of Spybot from one of the sites at http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html.
When you install it, you will be offered some options - I recommend you do NOT have the updates downloaded and you do NOT activate either Teatimer or SD Helper during the installation - this can be done later.

Once the program is installed, clear out your browser caches, cookie stores and your temporary files. Then start Spybot and download the latest detection updates using the "Search for Updates" button in Spybot. Immunise then run another scan. If the scan completes OK this time, let it fix any items found that are shown in red (the ones in green are usage tracks and fixing (deleteing) these is optional).

If it all then appears to be running OK, you can activate SDHelper and Teatimer if you wish. With Spybot in Advanced mode, goto Tools->Resident and tick the respective boxes.

Please post back and let us know your progress.

Sundancer2008
2008-10-12, 03:10
Seeing as I am not a expert at computers I think I need instruction on how to use 'this small fix'. I downloaded it in program files but when I try to use it, it open a window, I press execute it asks me if I want to add it to my register, I said yes but nothing happens.

S&D has been uninstalled but when I try to reinstall it says that S&D is still in 'program files' and asks if I want to add this new one to the file.

drragostea
2008-10-12, 03:26
You'll have to download the 'small fix' (.reg) directly to the desktop or some place where you can execute it.

You should be able to right-click on it (same thing as double-clicking) and click "Merge". Click 'Okay' to the prompt. If nothing else appears on your screen, you can assume that the fix has done it's job. You can drag-and-drop the fix to the Recycle Bin and trash it after this process is complete.