PDA

View Full Version : PC will not boot into Windows XP in any mode, including Safe mode

Planet
2008-10-08, 22:53
I have Windows Media Center Edition XP. I don't know if I have a malware issue or just managed to corrupt one of my system files somehow, but my computer will not even boot into safe mode. The last couple of things I did that may (or may not) be related to the problem) was (1) I downloaded and installed the latest updates to my Norton Internet Security software suite and (2) scheduled a shutdown in my task scheduler for the evening.

Then I went to the bed and the next morning when I tried to boot the system I got the message that Windows had not shut down properly and I had the option of starting in either safe mode, last known good configuration, or start windows normally. (the advanced Windows startup options). None of these options results in me getting into Windows, and the system just loops from showing the Windows progress loading screen back to the screen saying windows had not shut down properly the last time.

I have tried booting the system from my original Windows install disks and attempt to repair the installation of Windows. But this just takes me to the command prompt where I have tried to run chkdsk on my hard drive. This results in a message saying the drive has "one or more unrecoverable problems". When I try to use "dir" command to view any of the directories on the drive it says there is no floppy disk or cd inserted in the drive. I can view directories on external hard drives but nothing on the internal hard drive. The one thing I am able to do is get into my BIOS settings (after I restart) and it appears the hard drive is showing up in the BIOS screen.

My biggest concern is saving the data on my hard drive and I am becoming frightened that I am unable to view anything on the drive even from the command prompt. I'd appreciate any help you can give me on troubleshooting this problem and if I am seeking help in the wrong place, I would very grateful if you could refer me to where would be a more appropriate place to get help.

Given the problems I've described above I've been unable to figure out how to run a Hijack this log.

Blade81
2008-10-09, 16:31
Hi

Do you have any other system that you could plug the hard drive in? That way you could backup data assuming the hard drive isn't damaged.

Planet
2008-10-12, 22:52
I am trying to figure out how to do that. Unfortunately I am not very experienced in these matters so I don't how long it is going to take me.

Blade81
2008-10-13, 07:01
Hi

You could check here (http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000413.htm) for instructions how to install hard drive. If those are too complicated to follow then I suggest asking at more technical forum like http://forums.pcpitstop.com since we deal malware problems only here at Safer Networking Forums:)

Planet
2008-10-16, 22:36
Thanks for your help. I think you can close this thread now as I am quite confident it is not a malware issue. I have followed your suggestion and I am running data recovery software on the drive right now as I write.

Blade81
2008-10-17, 06:25
This topic has been closed now.

Note:If it has been five days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log and a link to your previous thread.

If it has been less than five days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or MOD a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.