PDA

View Full Version : Two questions: Tip of the Day & No Results Showing

cmndrmo
2008-10-13, 00:21
I Have two probably very simple questions but I can't find the answer and hope you can help.

I have been running in Default Mode the lastest version of Spybot Search & Destroy and my computer always shows No Problems Found (which is a good thing) and just the checkmark shows when the scan has run. When I see descriptions of this page it always has a list of things it checked like the caches, etc and when there was a problem it would be checkmarked? Now I get nothing just the Congratulations Nothing Found? Should there be some other info showing on that results screen?

Second question my screen has a Tip Of The Day and says right click to see it but there is never anything to see?

So I have your program running correctly since there is never any problem to be found nor any Tip of the Day?

Zenobia
2008-10-13, 00:33
For the tip of the day,it tells me to click the bar to the right.If I highlight where it tells me to click the bar to the right with my mouse,then click the bar,I do get what I guess is a tip,where it says that the space will contain more info about threats found.

Spybot can scan for tracks,which show up in the colour green,but they are not preselected to be fixed.If Spybot is set to scan for spyware only,tracks(cache,cookies,etc.) are not found by Spybot.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/dictionary/usagetracks.html
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/paragraphs/tutorial_exceptions.html

cmndrmo
2008-10-13, 00:42
I am sorry but I don't understand about the scan? I have it set to default mode since I don't know enough about computers to use the advanced mode without screwing something up....so I gather you are telling me that it is OK if I only have the checkmark that Nothing was Found and not worry about a itemized list of what it scanned?

I also don't understand where to find a log of what was scanned each day and the results?

I did see the little note about info on threats if something is found for the tip of the day..thanks for that.

Zenobia
2008-10-17, 06:42
Sorry,I am very behind on my posts. :)

Yes,it should be okay if you just have a checkmark and a Congratulations,no threats were found message at the end of the scan.Spyware items are usually found in red.
To be certain,you can click Mode->Advanced Mode->Settings->File Sets.Somewhere in the window to the right,rightclick and confirm that there is a checkmark next to "Spyware scan only."

You can return Spybot to default mode by clicking Mode,then selecting Default Mode.

The logfile for Spybot can be viewed within Spybot,but that requires Spybot to be in Advanced Mode,so I'll post both methods to view the logfile.It probably would be best to use the other method to view it.I have "borrowed" that info from md usa spybot fan. :D:

Method 1:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Look for the Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file that contains the detections you are interested in. Open it.
Method 2
The Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log and Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log files are stored in the following folders:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows Vista:
C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the correct Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file. Double click on it and it should open with Notepad.