PDA

View Full Version : Spybot is adding a bunch of registry keys and Kaspersky keeps asking me to allow them

makemesafe
2008-10-14, 01:30
Please help me understand what Spybot is trying to do. I just started the program up and it zoomed through the update process and told me I had to close all my open browser windows or else immunization might not work the next time I opened a browser.

So I closed all my browser windows and let Spybot start doing its thing, and then Kaspersky (my AV) started popping up all these windows asking me to allow or deny a bunch of registry modifications that Spybot was trying to make. For example:
---
Process is trying to create value in system registry key that belongs to group Internet Security. These keys control Internet security settings.

You are advised to grant access to these settings only if you are sure you want to allow these settings to be modified. Otherwise it is better to deny access.

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\0.scan.com
Value: *
New data(32-bit number): 0x00000004 (4)
---
I have never seen Spybot do this before, or at least Kaspersky has never worried about it before, so I want to be sure these are legitimate registry changes being made by Spybot.

I have approved a few of these so far, and Spybot has added keys to the registry regarding:
007guard.com
008i.com
008k.com
00hq.com
010402.com

Please let me know if I should continue allowing Spybot to do whatever it is doing. All the Kaspersky requests look the same, just the website changes. Any help or explanation as to what Spybot is doing and whether it is legitimate would be greatly appreciated!

drragostea
2008-10-14, 01:47
Hello makemesafe.

When you are running Spybot-Search&Destroy for the first time, you may have pressed the "Immunization" tab. What this does, is that it is Spybot-SD's passive protection against malware/parasites. Spybot will add entries (bad websites) to the HOSTS file, and thus will prevent you from accessing the [bad] site (a way to prevent you from accidentally entering the site).

If you wish to know more on how Spybot protects you, please read:
How Spybot-SD protects against the installation of Malware/Spyware (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281)

To sum it all up, you are advised to allow all the entries made by Spybot.