PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to 1.6 Problems on Win98SE

jo_lxix
2008-10-14, 22:55
I've just upgraded from 1.4 to 1.6 because I was given to believe the compatibility issues with 98SE had finally been fixed with this version, indeed the Safer Networking homepage makes exactly that claim,
"Operating System - Windows 98; Supported - Fully Functional".

I took care firstly to uninstall 1.4, reboot, delete the application data folder, run "this very small fix (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg)" reg fix, reboot, then install 1.6, reboot and update.

On opening Spybot I get the error message "Access violation at address 0077F8D9 in module "SPYBOTSD.EXE". Read of address 7E780682" (déjà vu here, this is similar to the message received on trying to install 1.5 when it was first released).
However this time, when I click OK on the error message, Spybot actually opens, but there's more........
In tools, Active X, BHO, Process list, System Startup, Uninstall Info, Winsock LSP's, all produce an "access violation error" and won't open.
In immunisation, no matter how many times I immunise, there remain 27907 unprotected items, in default (Cookies), default (Images), default (Installations), and default (Popups). Also the option to block Opera plugins
is no longer shown.
On top of all that I can no longer access the help files, neither from the main menu nor through the "?" button on individual pages.

NOT my idea of "fully functional" Mr Spybot!

Can anyone PLEASE offer any tips, before I (once again) reluctantly have to go back to version 1.4 ? (Life is too short for this!)

OS Win98SE 319MB RAM.

Thanks in advance.

bitman
2008-10-15, 06:01
Try a "clean boot" without other add-on programs or worst case a safe mode boot to see if that removes the error message. If so, it's likely a resource issue with the limited memory pools designed into Windows 9x/ME.

Unfortunately, I believe that Spybot is finally reaching the point of no return with Windows 9x. Actually, I probably should say fortunately since that OS family has had no security update support from Microsoft for over 2 years now and is thus inherently insecure no matter what you do.

Bitman

jo_lxix
2008-10-17, 19:33
Thanks for taking an interest, bitman.
I'm afraid I was by no means certain what you meant by a "clean boot".
What I guessed was to try unticking all items in msconfig startup tab, therefore rebooting without starting AV, firewall, systray, ccleaner etc. Would this have been your meaning?
Got the same "access violation error" with exactly the same symptoms.
(Another one I failed to mention in my first post is that trying to open Recovery gives a message something like "You may not have access privileges", although of course there's nothing in there yet anyhow)

Next I tried starting Spybot in safe mode, same "access violation error" there too, although with different numbers.

Finally I tried a full uninstall and reinstalling in safe mode - "access violation error" as before!

Gave up at this point and reinstalled 1.4.

Any further suggestions please anyone?

jo_lxix
2008-10-17, 20:09
EDIT TO ABOVE POST Having just read this thread (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=35403) I should add that I've never used teatimer with any Spybot version, if that assists anyone who'd be good enough to try to help me.