PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Spybot - I'm leaving

PoGo123
2008-10-15, 16:16
I've been very pleased with SpyBot since version 1.3 and I've contributed each year to it's development, but ... since version 1.6 was released - I'm no longer a supporter nor user. I've just un-installed Spybot and do not intend to use it again.

I do not expect, nor will I see any responses to this, since I do not intend to return.

I do not want programs that make decisions for me on what I can or cannot download, or ones that determine how my system should be configured and most certainly programs that manipulate the Hosts file without my specific direction.
All I wish is that a program do what I want when I want it to and otherwise stay in storage and not even resident in background.

Version 1.3 was good, 1.4 was better. Version 1.5 became very good after the initial slow start up bug was fixed. 1.6 ? ... not for me.

md usa spybot fan
2008-10-15, 17:19
PoGo123:

You could stop immunizing, turn off "SDHelper" and "TeaTimer" and use Spybot strictly as a malware scanner.

PepiMK
2008-10-15, 20:16
The immunization might also block sites from downloading, but that would not be "without specific instructions".

If things like the Immuniztion would require more "specific instructions", that would most likely be too technical for those users who are most endangered because they do not know all the technical stuff.

But then, that can be turned configure to use only parts of the immunization, or no immunization at all.

Keeping things "low" was always one of our goals, to reduce compatibility issues with AV mostly (which didn't hinder AVs to force users to uninstall, so rational thinking was bad on our part there :D ).