PDA

View Full Version : all in 1

TwistedMike
2008-10-17, 18:54
Is it possible if you could bundle SB S&D, Regedit and all of the rest into one program.

PepiMK
2008-10-17, 19:01
What advantage would that have?
A much larger download, of which many users won't use half of it.

What exactly do you have in mind?

TwistedMike
2008-10-20, 20:11
What exactly do you have in mind?
what i had in mind was that you could put all of the smaller apps into the Spybot S&D so that you do it all together without needing more than one app.and mabey have the option for when you install sb S&D that you can also install the others too.so that users don't have to complain about the big files size.

PepiMK
2008-10-20, 22:43
Hmmm... depends on what you understand as "app" probably ;)

1. App = Executable (.exe)

The trend goes absolutely against this even. One huge app usen up an unnecessary amount of system resources, takes longer to load, and is very unflexible regarding Vistas UAC. We've now 10 instead of the 1 main executables in Spybot 2.0, each for a special task (all well integrated I hope ;) ). Example: If you just want to immunize, the immunization window loads way faster. And updating the software is easier, becaus an update in the immuniztion module for example doesnt need testing of all the other stuff thats currently in SpybotSD.exe.

2. App = Software package

Either you have them all in the installer, which makes the installer larger.
Or, you mako them available as a download the installer retrieves when installing, in which case an Internet connection is needed. And since unknowing users don't understand, they'll install anyway.

So, the question remains: what benefits would the average user have from that? We don't want to become bloatware ;)

TwistedMike
2008-10-21, 14:49
well what i was trying to get to say was to make a software package it would make users a little more knowing of what all of the software you have is and can chose to install it or not so it gives users the option to install just SB or SB and some other software to install.but i don't want you guys to turn your software into bloatware so i guess it wont happen.

PaulWin98SE
2008-10-21, 19:55
Instead of putting all those tools into Spybot. Look at making a shell program which would make all those programs available to run from one program. The teatimer, could also have those added tool programs, if installed on the system, to its popup menu.

Personally I would like to see Spybot not to be so system resouce hungry.

Tom.K
2008-10-21, 20:10
Maybe the all tools (in Spybot-S&D) could be downloaded as a Spybot-S&D Tools Pack Setup which will include stand-alone EXE files:
Log Viewer (View Report)
Bug Reporter
Secure Shredder
Browser Tweaker (ActiveX, BHOs {includes IE addons, Firefox extensions and plugins, and Opera widgets}, Browser pages, IE tweaks)
Hosts File Editor
Process Manager
Startup Manager
Uninstall Manager
Winsock LSPs Viewer
File Shell Extension Scanner
(System Internals is like a registry cleaner, and it can be risky, so it should be removed; Resident should be moved to settings)

They can be in Tools folder and they can be shown in Tools list. By clicking on one tool, it runs the defined tool as executable. Like for example, already integrated Secure Shredder.

TwistedMike
2008-10-28, 23:35
I think that about sums up my idea and just made it better but that is like what i was asking for so if this could get implemented it would be great