PDA

View Full Version : Can't start computer

thomas8093
2008-10-18, 04:18
Hi, I was hoping one of the experts here could help me out. My work computer running windows XP was infected with smitfraud and I followed one of the tutorials in these forums to try to remove it. I attempted to start the computer in safe mode by going to ‘start’ > ‘run’ > ‘msconfig’ and then selecting /SAFEBOOT under the BOOT.INI tab. While attempting to start in safe mode, I get the following error: “The system could not log you on. Make sure your username and domain are correct, then type your password again.”

Well, the username and password are correct, but there is no where to select/change the domain, so I can’t start in safe mode. However, since I checked /SAFEBOOT in msconfig, it is continually trying to boot in safe mode, which continually throws the above error. I tried tapping F8 on startup and selected ‘start in normal mode’, but it still tries to start in safe mode to no avail.

Is there any way for me to start in normal mode without being able to re-enter msconfig and de-selecting /SAFEBOOT?

Thanks a lot for any assistance!!

katana
2008-10-22, 20:30
Please note that all instructions given are customised for this computer only, the tools used may cause damage if used on a computer with different infections.

If you think you have similar problems, please post a log in the HJT forum and wait for help.

Hello and welcome to the forums

My name is Katana and I will be helping you to remove any infection(s) that you may have.

Please observe these rules while we work:
1. If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
2. Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
3. Please continue to respond until I give you the "All Clear"
(Just because you can't see a problem doesn't mean it isn't there)

If you can do those three things, everything should go smoothly :D

Please Note, your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use.
Be assured, any links I give are safe

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I apologize for the delay in responding, but as you can probably see the forums are quite busy.
Unfortunately there are far more people needing help than there are helpers.

Given that you have used MSConfig to force safe mode, we are limited with options.
You will need one of the following if we are to continue......

1) XP install disc for your computer
OR
2) A second working machine that you can "slave" the hard drive to