PDA

View Full Version : Problem deleting temp files.

Fungus
2008-10-22, 23:47
I'm having a problem with the temp file deletion, it says there is 221 files, but they are locked it says.

Can you tell me the paths to all the temp folders besides %userprofile%\Application Data\TEMP and %allusersprofile%\Application Data\TEMP that it is trying to delete so I can track down this problem on my machine.

In those 2 paths there is no temp files to delete I have already deleted them all.

I do not have a rootkit which is preventing deletion, as I have checked the dirs from a livecd.

Or does it keep a list somewhere which has become corrupt that I can delete to start fresh.

2008-10-22, 23:54
are files currently being used by other programs. Thats all, no need to worry. If you want to clear them all, pull up disk cleanup in normal mode or safe mode and get rid of them that way. :)

Fungus
2008-10-23, 09:11
Ok, let me say I am not a noob to malware removal , I have been trained and have been doing it for several years. =]

Secondly , there is no way I should have 221 locked temporary files unless there is either a bug, or I have a serious infection (which I honestly doubt), so I was asking if I could have the locations that spybot s&d clears so I can manually check them. I suppose I can use filemon/procmon and check myself but I was just looking for a quicker way.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers

Yodama
2008-10-23, 12:28
hello,

please check your environment variables, your user variables for TEMP and TMP shows the locations of your temporary folders. Make sure that these contain temporary folders only. The same applies to the system variables.

Fungus
2008-10-23, 22:02
I used procmon to find out what was happening, and it's a bug.

I have unpacked some intel drivers to administrative installations, and they had copied the files and folders to %windir%\Temp

Several directories containing .inf files. The file were NOT locked at all and I deleted them.

Spybot S&D has a problem deleting these types of files from that directory, something to look into.