PDA

View Full Version : How to I restore denied applications?

gg8357
2008-10-23, 07:08
First let me say I am far from what you'd call a pc geek, so please bear with me when I try to explain what is happening on my puter.

I am unable to access almost all my programs including explorer, ms word even my spybot I can not open. It's like they all disappeared. Here is what happened that I think may be the cause?

For some reason when I shut down my computer and turned it back on the next day spybot kept popping up asking me to deny or allow changes, very many popups came up so it looked very suspicious. there were so many I wasn't even sure what I was denying or allowing. :oops:(told ya I was no pc geek!)

The result is I lost almost everything. Even the icon that tells me if I have a connection is gone. Luckily firefox windows gave me the option to "restore session" as they "closed unexpectedly" So I am working off the firefox browser. But if I try to open new windows even in firefox it wont let me. I am afraid to shut down my computer as I might not even get the firefox browser back.

So, my question is: can I restore what spybot denied? I tried to open spybot icon and that access is denied also.

If I download a new spybot and start over will it recognize and let me restore the old settings?

I even tried system restore to go back to my old settings But windows 2000 doesn't have system restore.

I explained the best I could what is going on, I hope you can make heads or tails out of it, PLEASE HELP

Thanks in advance
gg

drragostea
2008-10-24, 03:23
So, my question is: can I restore what spybot denied? I tried to open spybot icon and that access is denied also.

If I download a new spybot and start over will it recognize and let me restore the old settings?

I even tried system restore to go back to my old settings But windows 2000 doesn't have system restore.
:red: Windows 2000 doesn't seem to have the System Restore option that was provided in Windows ME.
I can't say that uninstalling and reinstalling Spybot will undo the changes, because the changes has already been made.

My suggestion about using TeaTimer is that, if you cannot bear it's prompts and do not understand what it is asking for, then I suggest you disable it. However, first you'll have to undo the changes made by TeaTimer. The boxes you were seeing on your desktop about this and that denied was probably caused because you unknowingly clicked Denied on a prompt and ticked "Remember my Decision".
---
If you check "Remember this decision" on a change, the information concerning that change it is stored in a file. TeaTimer uses that information to automatically "Allow" or "Deny" similar registry changes for all future changes. To edit that information:Right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon and select Settings. This will bring up TeaTimer's "White & Black List". There are four (4) Buttons across the top of the "White & Black List":
Allowed registry changes
Blocked registry changes
Allowed processes
Blocked processes
You can review all the entries that you have stored by clicking on these buttons. The entries that you should review are in "Blocked registry changes". You can delete entries by clicking on the scripted black "X" to the right of the entry that you want to delete, answering "Yes" to the confirmation dialog and then clicking the "OK" button when you're done.
---
Basically, by double clicking the Red X's, you can undo the changes.

I don't have the foggiest idea about your icons disappearing or why you cannot open Spybot-Search&Destroy itself. Try undoing the changes and see if there is progress.