PDA

View Full Version : Scanning both drives

Dogears
2008-10-23, 17:37
I have just installed Spy bot on my computer. I have a C dive and a E drive as hard drives on my computer. I installed spybot to my E drive.

When Spybot runs a scan it does not indicate which drive it is looking at. It just indicates that it is running a scan and looking for certain thing. There is nothing in the scanning that suggest it is scanning one drive and then doing it again for the other drive. So in order to get both drive it seems it would have to scan both at the same time, if this is possible.

Any idea if Spy bot is scanning both my C and E drives? Or is it just scanning my E drive cause that is the drive it is on? Would I need to have Spy bot installed on both drives to have both scanned?

jjjdavidson
2008-10-23, 18:10
As I understand it, Spybot S&D doesn't work like an antivirus scanner; that is, it doesn't scan every file on your system looking for malware "signatures".

Instead, it looks for known spyware in known locations, and looks for registry anomalies that are typical of spyware. So it searches the folder where Windows is installed and the folders where Windows installs user programs and user settings. That's why a full Spybot scan can take 10-15 minutes on a system where a full antivirus scan takes a couple of hours.

So--as I understand it--as long as you're not running a multi-boot system, Spybot should give you full protection regardless of where it's installed or how many data partitions you have. If you have a multi-boot system, then the /allhives option lets you scan registry hives relating to Windows installations on other partitions.

Hope this helps!
Jay

Dogears
2008-10-23, 19:38
Im preaty sure I don't have a multi boot system (not sure exactly what that is). I just have a regular old computer with windows vista and a C and E hard drive. So it sounds like from what you are saying spy bot should work just find installed on either drive.

Thanks!

Terminator
2008-10-23, 20:35
"Multi-Boot" is just a posh way of saying that you have multiple Operating Systems installed.

To ensure smooth running, Spybot should always be installed on the C Drive or else you may run in to problems e.g. the "Please insert Disk" error.

Dogears
2008-10-23, 23:25
Fortunately everything seems to be running just fine on my E drive. I was just a little suprised when it did not indicate was drive it was scanning. BUt apparently it does not work in the same way as other anti virus programs do.