PDA

View Full Version : SpyBot v1.6 destroys Windows 98SE Installation

m.rup
2008-10-23, 22:03
Hi,
recently I upgraded from v1.5 to v1.6. Big mistake! My Windows 98SE wasn't able to boot anymore but always ended up in different states (...protection violation, missing some .vxd files, simply frozen screen, and so on) . Well, made a new Installation (Win 98SE, Office 2000, Microsoft Win 98 Update CD,Creopard updatepack sesp21d.exe, Logitech setpoin 260, Nvidia 81.91) and tested it for two weeks. No problems at all. Then I installed Spybot 1.60 and: Every first booting ends up in a frozen black screen, when resetting the computer, the second boot attempt is successful. This clearly seems to be an effect of Spybot installation. This leads me to the conclusion that v160 is not qualified for Windows 98, oddly enough, v150 was. I hope there will be a solution because I like to use this program on my old computer.

PaulWin98SE
2008-10-25, 09:33
Hi,
recently I upgraded from v1.5 to v1.6. Big mistake! My Windows 98SE wasn't able to boot anymore but always ended up in different states (...protection violation, missing some .vxd files, simply frozen screen, and so on) . Well, made a new Installation (Win 98SE, Office 2000, Microsoft Win 98 Update CD,Creopard updatepack sesp21d.exe, Logitech setpoin 260, Nvidia 81.91) and tested it for two weeks. No problems at all. Then I installed Spybot 1.60 and: Every first booting ends up in a frozen black screen, when resetting the computer, the second boot attempt is successful. This clearly seems to be an effect of Spybot installation. This leads me to the conclusion that v160 is not qualified for Windows 98, oddly enough, v150 was. I hope there will be a solution because I like to use this program on my old computer.

May I suggest boot to dos mode. And run SCANREG /RESTORE
Pick the date before you installed 1.6. Then after your system is up uninstall 1.6.
You have about 4 or 5 day window to do this. Depending on your registory restore settings. The sooner you do this the better chance of getting your old system settings back.

PepiMK
2008-10-25, 12:26
Hmmmm...

Did you scan and fix anything after you installed Spybot?

Spybot doesnt install any drivers on its own, so errors about missing .vxd, which happen during an early boot state, cannot be triggered by anyting Spybot is doing at that point (so, probably only a false positive during a regular scan could have changed the system that way).

I've just tried to reproduce that by updating a Win 98 SE virtual machine from Spybot 1.5 to 1.6. Works fine powercycling it a dozen times. Scan shows no false positives.

I'll have to try that inofficial Creopard service pack. Which language and version of it did you install?

m.rup
2008-10-26, 20:03
Hi,
thanks for replies.
@PepiMK:
Yes, I did run a scan after installation (mainly to see if SpyBot was starting at all). It found DoubleClick cookie as far as I remember, and I removed it.
Yes, it is very strange, I know that SpyBot doesn't install some drivers, and v1.5 doesn't do any harm to the system. Maybe there are some critical entries into the registry made during installation, who knows? The update pack can be found here: http://www.nandlstadt.com/win98sp.htm
I installed the german version, without selecting any tweaking (memory and so on). Thanks again for your efforts, it would be great if I could use SpyBot in the future furthermore.