PDA

View Full Version : how to undo all the immunzie changes?

jlong123
2008-10-25, 21:49
Even though I asked Spybot to keep an undo file, there were no files available in the undo option. Egads!

I have selected all of the items in immunize and run undo. I've done a select all in Spybot "Ignore Products" options. I've turned teatime on and off. I've rebooted with teatime on, and with teatime off. There are no items in any of teatime's 4 catagories anyway.

Everything seems back to normal except for the game eve-online. It can't save any of the changes I make in its options. Changes in eve-online are quite extensive, and I can't redo them every time I start the program. I need this "fix" done by Spybot to be undone. Any suggestions?

drragostea
2008-10-26, 02:13
I was just wondering how your query about the game "Eve-Online" was related to the Immunization feature as stated in the title. This is misleading.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Undo" file, but your thread focuses on the TeaTimer (Resident Shield) function of Spybot-SD.

The Immunization does not and should not interfere with your game. It is used for passive protection, hardening your system defenses by adding entries to the Windows HOSTS file and your browsers blacklists.

Are you asking that, can you have a "Remember" option in TeaTimer so next time you play, you are not prompted of the same alert?

You can disable TeaTimer if you wish, doing so will be the same as if you Allowed all the prompts by TeaTimer.

jlong123
2008-10-26, 03:28
Thanks for the reply. Here are some clarifications:

I think eve-online might be saving setup data as a cookie, or as some other item that immunize protects against. There is a lot of data saved somehow -- screen size, which windows to bring up, shortcuts for market items, what to show and what to hide in space, etc. After running immunize, every time I start eve, all of those are gone.

When I first installed Spybot, it had the option of creating an undo file, so I said yes. Then when I went to the undo tab, the undo file list was empty.

I've enabled and disabled teatime and the other resident program, both with and without rebooting, and none of those allowed eve to run properly.

I will probably submit a bug report to the vendor of eve and see if they will tell me exactly how the data is stored. Without that, it is anyone's guess which of the spybot protections are causing the problem.

drragostea
2008-10-26, 04:20
When I first installed Spybot, it had the option of creating an undo file, so I said yes. Then when I went to the undo tab, the undo file list was empty.
Hrm. Do you run Eve-Online via a Web Browser? If so, you can manually edit (remove eve-online) from the filters.

The "undo" file is actually a registry backup. Or if you meant the Recovery Tab in Spybot-Search&Destroy, then it would have been empty because you have no fixed anything yet. Also, the TeaTimer and SDHelper Resident Shields will not interfere with your game.

I understand there is a lot of be done in the game, but I want to know what is Eve-Online saving exactly, if you mean configurations wise, like cache? If it runs on a browser then cookies?

I see that online games don't usually connect through the browser, but they have a executable to connect directly without the use of the browser; eg: MapleStory.

jlong123
2008-10-26, 06:11
Eve-online runs in a client server mode. It has many things it caches in a folder in My Documents, but I don't think Spybot would damage that mechanism, so it must be stashing data somewhere else as well.

You can get a better idea of eve by going to eve-online.com

jlong123
2008-10-26, 06:32
I wasn't quite ready to submit that last reply, but my system crashed while I had the reply screen open.

Anyway, I found the problem. For some reason, all my my folders under C:\Documents and Settings\<myname>\Local Settings were all protected. I found the folder where eve stores character data and unprotected it, and now everything is fine.

Thanks again.

PS: my clock was also set to Dec 25. Those are both strange things for Spybot to do.

PepiMK
2008-10-26, 10:32
A game with a dedicated client would probably never store data in a cookie. Cookies are very limited and just not "persistent" enough to be reliable for a game.

Oh, and while Spybot is able to increase file access rights (if that is what you meant be "protected", or were you speaking about the read-only attribute?) - for those files it is going to remove - it does not have a capability to reduce access rights (unless the former one would have a bug, but I doubt Spybot would have flagged your Local Settings folder, because in that case, it would dave been removed, not just rights reduced). Nor does it have a capability of changing the system date.