PDA

View Full Version : My spybot problem

eb743
2008-10-26, 15:20
Hi...Let me try to explain the problem. I've been using Spybot for a number of years w/o any problems; works fairly silently and unobtrusively. I'm on the internet about an hour per day, sometimes a bit more. When I log on to my FireFox the Spybot kicks in and after a few minutes and usually reports "congratulations etc. etc." At least that's the way it was working until a couple of weeks ago. There were problems which I couldn't figure out so I deleted the program and then re-loaded it. Spybot then examined my disc minutely taking over an hour and finding a couple of minor problems which I deleted. I then expected Spybot to build on the initial screening and once again do the few minutes of examination and then a report; but noooooooooooo(as the kids say!) every time I log on to the internet I get that minute exam which takes over an hour. My question: how do I get back to where it was before, a quick exam and a quick response?

EB (growing old is not for sissies!)

drragostea
2008-10-27, 01:25
Let get this straight. So your problem is that Spybot-Search&Destroy is running scan during bootup out of the blue for no reason and with no prompt or confirmation?

Have you scheduled a Windows Task to run Spybot?
Spybot will not run a bootup unless you tell it to do so.

What version is your Spybot (Spybot>Help>About)?

eb743
2008-10-27, 15:32
No, that's not it. The problem is that spybot always ran at boot-up; but until very recently the run was several minutes...now it's an hour!

Which was wrong? the previous short run or the current long one?

spybotsandra
2008-10-27, 16:17
Hello,

Did you let Spybot remove temp files before the scan?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

jjjdavidson
2008-10-28, 00:28
...until very recently the run was several minutes...now it's an hour!

It sounds like you're still running version 1.5, but with the detection databases for 1.6.0. When 1.6.0 came out, I watched my 1.5.2 versions go from 15-minute scans to 35-minute scans to 2-hour scans in a period of a few weeks. Upgrade to Spybot 1.6.0, and your scan time should drop back down to several minutes (probably less than 1.5.2 used to use, in fact).