PDA

View Full Version : Problem opening Spybot SD scanning

Adela
2008-10-27, 17:03
(I have WinXP Home ver. SP2, SpybotSD 1.6 just updated).

Hello, hope someone could help please?

Each time I click on the icon to start scanning, it shows a window asking if I want "English" (haven't found how to omit it). Then it takes me through all the installation process steps each time I want to scan!

Then after a long wait the Wizard window appears asking to click on several steps until it says "Start using the program"...while behind it, it's the open program.

I wonder why I have to go through all of this each time, instead of getting it right after clicking on the icon as in the past?

Hoping with thanks to know why and how to avoid this longer path. :) Adela

md usa spybot fan
2008-10-27, 17:40
Adela:

It sounds as if the icon you are clicking on is not for SpybotSD.exe but for an installation program (possibly spybotsd160.exe or another program).

Right click on the icon and select properties. The "Target:" information should read:
"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"
--- or possibly ---
"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /advancedmode
What does your "Target:" information say?

Adela
2008-10-27, 18:29
Hello and thank you MD USA! I followed your directions to find the "Target" but I found first this: "spybotsd160.exe. I didn't find any "Target" name, only "location", could this be it, and under location it only showed: C:\Documents and Settings\AdelaMain\Desktop. I have a hunch this isn't the target, but I looked all over for it and didn't see it.

I do have another icon, a yellow folder but it shows only a long list of documents with their own icons by their sides, such as:

Yellow folders named: Languages, Dummies, Updates, Help, etc.

Also different icons named mostly "Screen Savers", plus blindmen, etc. all with strange looking names...

...and that's why I kept using the icon that kept me installing it forever... :)

Do you think we can still find what's wrong and correct it? Thanks so much! Adela

md usa spybot fan
2008-10-27, 19:38
Adela:

Since it appears that the shortcut that you are using does not point to Spybot's main executable (SpybotSD.exe), delete the one that you have and create a new one.

To create a new shortcut to SpybotSD.exe:
Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Right click on SpybotSD.exe and select "Create Shortcut" (if you do not see SpybotSD.exe, read Note #1).
Drag the newly created shortcut to your desktop.
Double click on the new shortcut and see if Spybot launches properly.
_____

Note #1: Starting with Spybot 1.5.2 some of Spybot's executables are hidden as protected operating system files. To see them:
In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
Uncheck the following option:
Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.
The files should now be displayed
Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.

Adela
2008-10-29, 18:47
Adela:
Since it appears that the shortcut that you are using does not point to Spybot's main executable (SpybotSD.exe), delete the one that you have and create a new one.

To create a new shortcut to SpybotSD.exe:
Right click on SpybotSD.exe and select "Create Shortcut" (if you do not see SpybotSD.exe, read Note #1).
Drag the newly created shortcut to your desktop.
Double click on the new shortcut and see if Spybot launches properly.
___
Note #1: Starting with Spybot 1.5.2 some of Spybot's executables are hidden as protected operating system files. To see them:
Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.
Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.
Oh md usa, I just found "Target" (it wasn't there by clicking on the icon, but through the "All programs", and it says):

"C:\Documents and Settings\AdelaMain\Desktop\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"

When I clicked on properties through the icon, a window titled: "spybotsd160.exe Properties" appeared, and right below it, it said: "spybotsd160.exe"...I tried to find here the "Create a Shortcut" but didn't have it.

...so, which of the two you think I should delete in order to create a new one as you so kindly directed? Probably the first (long) one above? But I tried also there to find the "Create a Shortcut" but didn't, maybe I should delete it first?:

So sorry that I'm taking more of your time and thanks so much, I feel I'm getting closer to resolving this problem - hopefully... Adela

Adela
2008-10-30, 04:32
Hello again...thought I'd report that I finally found the spybotsd160.exe, and created a shortcut, but when trying to drag it to the desktop by dropping it on that little icon in the taskbar ("Show Desktop"), it didn't get placed though I tried 4 times.

I wonder what I did wrong? I tried copying it but couldn't paste it on the desktop. Is there another way to put it in the desktop maybe?

Thanks again for new help... Adela

Terminator
2008-10-30, 13:34
Try this.

Right Click on SpybotSD.exe and choose the "Send To Destop" option and that will create a shortcut on the desktop it's self:police:.

md usa spybot fan
2008-10-30, 14:18
Terminator:

Thank you. I never used that option before and it is easier than the create, drag and drop method.

Terminator
2008-10-30, 15:07
No problem md:bigthumb:.

Adela
2008-11-03, 03:48
Thanks so much to MD and Terminator, I'm sorry that for some reason I wasn't notified this time...

I tried again with the new suggestion, but (leave it to me!) I couldn't find the spybotsd.exe this time. So I'm deleting it from the control panel and will start from scratch by downloading it again. :)

Thanks again so very much! Adela

P.S. Terminator I love that little police head...

Adela
2008-11-03, 04:26
So sorry to write again, but when I went here to download:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

I saw several versions and I'm confused. Could someone tell me which of the versions they show I should download? Is it the first one only?

Thanks so much again! Adela

drragostea
2008-11-03, 05:21
Download "spybot160", the program installer itself. Here's an easier way, just download it here:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
-

Adela
2008-11-03, 16:46
Download "spybot160", the program installer itself. Here's an easier way, just download it here:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
-
Thank you, drragostea, I've become a pest, but this link also shows different downloads - 3 to start, then 4 hosted by Safer-Networking, and Further Mirrors, etc. Are they all the same so that I can click on any of these downloads? I tried one and it said something with the word "beta" in it, but I heard that betas may give problems, and I have so many already.... lol!

Could you or someone indicate one specific free spybotsd that I should download?

Please forgive my persistence in asking, and I appreciate so much your helping me! Adela

2008-11-03, 16:51
links will work. but if you want it easier, download from this link: http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/spybotsd160.exe

md usa spybot fan
2008-11-03, 17:04
Adela:

re:

... I tried again with the new suggestion, but (leave it to me!) I couldn't find the spybotsd.exe this time. ...
Reminder:

... Starting with Spybot 1.5.2 some of Spybot's executables are hidden as protected operating system files. To see them:
Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.

Adela
2008-11-06, 19:03
Hello with thanks to md usa! I followed your instructions below but found no "Tools Menu"... :

Then I searched and followed the "Hidden files and folders" instructions below. And I repeated your above instructions (C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy) but, again, there was no "Tools Menu"...(?)

Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.

Also hello with thanks to 129260! I used the link you so kindly gave me and it installed the spybotsd with a shortcut and evertyhing :) and I hastened to open and scan...but, again, it shows me first to click whether I want English, and then I have to install it each time I open to scan, several times, until it does open. So I decided to just go along with this suffering rather than keep trying so many things. It must be my computer that prevents fixing this problem, but I'm lost... :scratch:

To all the friends here who tried to help me, a BIG THANK YOU for your knowledge and kind patience!!! Adela

2008-11-06, 19:15
just keep opening the installer file. You want to delete the spybotsd160.exe icon that you used to install spybot with, on your desktop or wherever you put it. The link i gave you, that file installs spybot, after installing it delete it. Then you want to go to start-programs-safer networking-spybot search and destroy-spybot. That will open the program spybot.

Also, are you running Microsoft vista? If so, to see the tools menu, hit the alt key (on the keyboard) while in my computer or the window where you see the files, then click tools and follow the directions.

ok? I hope that helps you! :)

Adela
2008-11-07, 00:19
just keep opening the installer file. You want to delete the spybotsd160.exe icon that you used to install spybot with, on your desktop or wherever you put it. The link i gave you, that file installs spybot, after installing it delete it. Then you want to go to start-programs-safer networking-spybot search and destroy-spybot. That will open the program spybot.
Also, are you running Microsoft vista? If so, to see the tools menu, hit the alt key (on the keyboard) while in my computer or the window where you see the files, then click tools and follow the directions.
Hi 129260, no I don't have Vista, only WinXP SP2, IE 6, and, well...if you still have a little patience left, I guess I better grab it!!! :)

So to make sure, should I delete completely and wherever I have the spybotsd160.exe (I have the 2 icons in the desktop and also once in the Control Panel). I wonder if it also could be somelwhere else? Okay, I'll delete ALL of them andhopefully there aren't any more hidden somewhere....

Then I'll go to "start-programs-safer networking-spybot search and destroy-spybot"? Not to the neat link you gave me here: http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/spybotsd160.exe ?

And should I try as many times as needed until it opens normally? Okay, I shall. Thanks so much again! Adela

2008-11-07, 04:51
there should not be a icon in the control panel...spybot does not do that....weird....whats the name of the icon in control panel?

Also why are out of date? You do not have service pack 3 for xp....or internet explorer 7....have you gone to Microsoft update recently? service pack 3 has been out for awhile now.... See here: www.update.microsoft.com Install all updates available.

Also are you sure you are not infected? You might need to visit the malware removal forums, as your computer seems to be acting very weird. Unless i am just not understanding what you are explaining correctly. We can look into this later if you keep having difficulties.

I'm also sorry but am very confused with your statements. Can you go to control panel-add/remove programs and remove spybot? Then restart the computer and download and install spybot from the link i provided earlier? After installing, simply delete the installer file after the installation is completed. Then you will see a icon called spybot search and destroy. Open that and that will launch the spybot program. Have you ever installed a program before, or are you completely new to this? Installing another program is just like installing spybot. You open the installer file and install it. Then you delete it after it installs the program. I hope this does not offend you but i want to be able to help you in a way that you can understand. I can give you some links that might help you learn more about security and programs, etc.

I hope you take this reply in the way i intended it. :) I would like to help you, but i am getting very lost with what is going on....

drragostea
2008-11-07, 05:29
Also why are out of date? You do not have service pack 3 for xp....or internet explorer 7....have you gone to Microsoft update recently? service pack 3 has been out for awhile now.... See here: www.update.microsoft.com Install all updates available.

Also are you sure you are not infected? You might need to visit the malware removal forums, as your computer seems to be acting very weird. Unless i am just not understanding what you are explaining correctly. We can look into this later if you keep having difficulties.
Don't mind me if I say this but upgrading has little to do with the problem.

I'm also sorry but am very confused with your statements. Same here. Adela, do you mean that there are two Spybot-Search&Destroy entries in the Add/Remove Programs window (via Control Panel)?

I had to re-read the entire thread to get a clearer understanding of what you want. Starting with post one, you seem to have clicked the installer file for Spybot-Search&Destroy, thus you are seeing the step by step processes. Have you ever installed Spybot in the past?

Thing is that you keep clicking on the installer file "spybotsd160.exe". The .exe ending will tell you that it is the installer.

In post #10, you said that you'll start from scratch and attempt to reinstall Spybot. During that time, was Spybot completely uninstalled?

Also, are you attempting to remove all of Spybot's files and start anew?

Adela
2008-11-08, 03:05
Hi again 129260 and I'm sorry I'm confusing you, I know it's my lack of knowledge of terminology and other tech things, and I'm not offended by your kind interest in helping, on the contrary I'm very grateful!

there should not be a icon in the control panel...spybot does not do that....weird....whats the name of the icon in control panel?
I didn't mean to say I had a spybotsd icon in my control panel - I meant it's listed there, plus 2 icons in the desktop. I deleted all 3 of them!

SP3 updating is waiting for me in my taskbar, but it says to save everything first, so I'll finish fixing this matter before, and then I'll save everything and update it. As to the IE7 I know many people having problems with it and I dont' need MORE puter problems. I'm ok with IE6.

I could, but doubt it since I'm very careful scanning frequently both spybotsd and ad-aware, along with deleting all temp files and other maintenance.

Can you go to control panel-add/remove programs and remove spybot? Then restart the computer and download and install spybot from the link i provided earlier? After installing, simply delete the installer file after the installation is completed. Then you will see a icon called spybot search and destroy. Open that and that will launch the spybot program.
I did remove spybotsd from the control panel, but, I may not have restarted before reinstalling. I will do it again, and make sure to restart before reinstalling, as well as deleting the installer file after completing the installation, which I never knew I had to do.

Have you ever installed a program before, or are you completely new to this? Installing another program is just like installing spybot.
While I'm not good with computer tech, I did install several programs before but never deleted the installer, so I shall certainly do this from now on.

I'll follow the steps you gave me now and will try it, this time, the right way. Thanks a lot again! Adela

Also hello and thanks to drragostea I'm so awfully sorry you had to re-read the thread from the start! I think the answers above apply to your questions. As to this: "Also, are you attempting to remove all of Spybot's files and start anew?", yes, I was trying to delete the entire spybotsd and start from scratch which I did, but possibly it didn't work since I didn't know I had to delete the icon after installed and also restart before reinstalling.

Again, thank you both a lot! I feel I'm now much better equipped to try it again and will report the good news. :) Adela

drragostea
2008-11-08, 19:50
Super.
I'm sure Spybot-Search&Destroy will install successfully, with no problems.

Take care, Adela.

2008-11-09, 02:39
I'm glad to know everything is resolved. :) Let us know if you have any future problems, and thanks for your patience and for answering all my questions!

By the way, I am fine with internet explorer 7. I just never use it ;) , i use mozzila firefox. It is another internet browser that is very safe and secure. :) Anyways, service pack 3 is a great update to do, but when you go to install it make sure all your protection programs are off during the install. Such as antivirus, teatimer (if you have it enabled) in spybot, and any other software thats currently running. Turn off does does not mean uninstall, just make sure its not running next to the clock. Right click the programs that are there and exit or close or turn off them. Then install service pack 3 :) Hope that helps, and I'm glad everything is well. :)

Adela
2008-11-09, 04:54
Hi again drragostea and 1229260, I'm sorry everything is not resolved.:red: I encountered an obstacle on trying to delete ALL in order to start from scratch. I'm sorry to take more time from you, but please feel free not to reply as I do understand:

1. I deleted the spybotsd.exe icon from the desktop fine; but...

2. The 2nd icon on the desktop (a yellow folder) said when I tried to delete: "Are you sure you want to remove the folder Spybot - Search & Destroy and move all its contents to the Recycle Bin?"
(The contents look like system files), so...I didn't. Is this to be left in then? And finally...

3. I went to Add/Remove to remove Spybot - Search & Destroy, but it gave a long message:

If you just want to undo changes you've made with Spybot - Search & Destroy do not uninstall it right now. Spybot - Search & Destroy has created backups to allow you to undo new changes it has made. Start Spybot - Search & Destroy and use the Recovery Section.
Also you may try to undo any protections you have applied in the Immune Section.
Are you really sure you want to remove Spybot - Search & Destroy completely and all its components instead of trying the Undo functions first?
It seems easier for me to delete ALL rather than play with changes, so I clicked again on "Remove" but it doesn't get removed and the large msg reappears. Though it talks about changes, the word "Change" does not appear next to "Remove" - only "Remove".

Has anyone experienced any of this? Adela

P.S. Thanks SO much 129260 for advising to turn off (or disable?) all my protection programs in spybotsd and others, before installing the SP3 update. I didn't know it, I guess that's how one gets problems...as I do? :)

drragostea
2008-11-09, 05:03
1. I deleted the spybotsd.exe icon from the desktop fine; but...

2. The 2nd icon on the desktop (a yellow folder) said when I tried to delete: "Are you sure you want to remove the folder Spybot - Search & Destroy and move all its contents to the Recycle Bin?"
(The contents look like system files), so...I didn't. Is this to be left in then? And finally...

3. I went to Add/Remove to remove Spybot - Search & Destroy, but it gave a long message:

It seems easier for me to delete ALL rather than play with changes, so I clicked again on "Remove" but it doesn't get removed and the large msg reappears. Though it talks about changes, the word "Change" does not appear next to "Remove" - only "Remove".
There's no need to apologize.
1. But? The Spybot-SD installer (spybotsd160.exe) will install Spybot itself.

2. Yes, Folders are Yellow :cowboy:. Your goal is to remove all of Spybot's contents and traces, thus that will require the removal of the folders too that the message prompted you about.

3. What that message means is that, some people tend to think that uninstalling Spybot will undo what it has done, but they are not quite there. So it's saying that if you wish to undo the changes that Spybot made (removal of an item; Quarantine), go to the Program and do it.

You can safely uninstall Spybot-Search&Destroy and start from scratch.

Adela
2008-11-09, 06:35
I did it drragostea!!! I deleted entire spybotsd, restarted, and used the link 129260 had given me earlier, and I see the installer icon sitting pretty on my desktop.

But, I didn't delete it yet, as I don't see a second icon that usually appears on the desktop, to click on for scanning? Also, I checked the add/remove and don't see it listed there...I wonder what I did wrong this time? :sad:

Thank you for explaining so well all those odd things I came across. Next time I install some programs I'll know better what to do. Adela

drragostea
2008-11-10, 01:13
Adela, I'm not entirely sure of what you are having problems with.

I don't understand what you mean by a "second icon" on the desktop.

Spybot-SD icon in the taskbar? Desktop? The Desktop icon should read "Spybot - Search & Destroy".

Spybot (installer/wizard) should have installed a desktop icon too (unless you mistakenly unticked it :santa:).

Remember, the desktop icon is "Spybot - Search & Destroy".
The installer is "spybotsd160".

Adela
2008-11-10, 02:40
Ohh drragostea please forgive my stupidity! It is perfect now, just as you explained so many times it should be! I thought the link that 129260 had given me was going to do the entire "package" and so I neglected to run it. When I read your post here, it immediately came as a flash to me, I hastened to do it and now everything fell into place.

Again I'm embarrased and so sorry to have taken this much time from all of you great techis. My deepest thanks to all! You are an :angel: drragostea, and all who helped too! :^) Adela

P.S. I'm afraid I might've broken this forum too, since after clicking many times on "Submit Reply" or "Preview Post" neither worked. I'll try later again...

2008-11-10, 04:09
Ohh drragostea please forgive my stupidity! It is perfect now, just as you explained so many times it should be! I thought the link that 129260 had given me was going to do the entire "package" and so I neglected to run it. When I read your post here, it immediately came as a flash to me, I hastened to do it and now everything fell into place.

Again I'm embarrased and so sorry to have taken this much time from all of you great techis. My deepest thanks to all! You are an :angel: drragostea, and all who helped too! :^) Adela

P.S. I'm afraid I might've broken this forum too, since after clicking many times on "Submit Reply" or "Preview Post" neither worked. I'll try later again...

haha i am glad everything is worked out adela. :) And no you did not break the forum, i did. ;) haha just kidding.

drragostea
2008-11-10, 04:16
There's no need to apologize.

^ ^, Like I said before. And there's only one Spybot-Search&Destroy, and it does not come in a package.

You won't break the forum by clicking the 'Submit Reply' too much, :laugh:.

And thanks 129260 (:present:), for the links and the other information.

129260 and I make a great team :spider:.

Adela
2008-11-10, 04:31
Hi guys, YES, you both do make a great samaritan team and I appreciate you a lot! So glad that you still have good humor after all I put you through. For you: :flowers:

But, I learned a lot from you, and at least THIS kind of problem will never return as I know what to do now thanks to you guys.

Wishing you good health and happiness with a BIG :bighug: Adela

2008-11-10, 04:34
...And thanks 129260 (:present:), for the links and the other information.

129260 and I make a great team :spider:...

no problem bud, its what i do haha. It's what we do actually. ;) And yes, we do make a good team. :)

drragostea
2008-11-10, 04:53
Your very welcome. That thread was nothing to me. I've been through a lot more...
-
Haha, well just make sure to visit us more often. :santa:

2008-11-10, 05:00
Your very welcome. That thread was nothing to me. I've been through a lot more...
Er, take this for example:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=35342&page=2
-
Haha, well just make sure to visit us more often. :santa:

everyone is here to learn. Take a look at my signature. ;)

"I am learning just like everyone else" :bigthumb: