PDA

View Full Version : Teatimer & snapshot files

Owen Glendower
2008-10-27, 21:06
Simple question, I hope.

I'm running Spybot 1.6 on XP Home with SP3 installed. Resident protection is enabled in Spybot.

I'm going to uninstall several programs and utilities which I no longer need. These uninstalls will of course make changes to system files and registry keys.

I want to avoid dealing with all of the popup warnings about system changes which I will get from Spybot after uninstalling these programs.

After running several forum searches, I gather that I should do the following before performing the uninstalls:

1. Exit resident protection via the system tray icon.
2. Perform the uninstalls.
3. Re-enable resident protection (or reboot, which will reload Spybot with resident protection enabled).

Is this correct? Please advise.

drragostea
2008-10-27, 23:33
This will be fine. Of course, disabling the Resident Shield would be just the same as if you were allowing all the prompts. Disabling it would just avoid the prompts.

You won't be bombard by prompts, unless it is something like Windows Update :snorkle:

Owen Glendower
2008-10-28, 01:17
Thanks for the prompt reply, appreciate it. And you're right, it's not a big deal. I just updated (on another computer) several programs like Realplayer, Flash, and Acrobat Reader, and of course got several prompts which I allowed (except for the "start on OS boot" prompts related to Realplayer, since I have more than enough processes running after startup as it is).

But I recently uninstalled about a dozen no-longer-needed programs without realizing that Spybot resident protection was still disabled (via the Advanced menu) per instructions from Blade on the Malware Removal Forum, who (along with a local repair shop) helped me get my computer back after being hit with malware. My bad, no doubt.

So I hastily re-enabled resident protection and of course got a slew of prompts about system and registry changes, because the snapshot had not been refreshed.

But actually, the Realplayer update mentioned above was a good lesson. I don't want or need this application to load in my system tray every time I boot up, and the Spybot prompts allowed me to prevent that while updating the program. So there can certainly be advantages to leaving resident protection enabled during a program install. It allowed me to do a bit of fine-tuning.

Like your sig, by the way. Here's a slightly different version: "Luck is when opportunity meets experience."

Thanks again for your help.

drragostea
2008-10-28, 01:26
No problem Owen, and I was glad to help you.

For me, WMP is just enough (plus VLC Media Player). In your situation, I would only need RealPlayer to play RealPlayer files.

Hm, I would stick to my current sig. although I never did thought about taht quote... : /

Luck happens out of the blue? :laugh: Like it's fortune? It's a bit difficult for me to describe, but I see it as a good thing. : )