PDA

View Full Version : Unsafe Website? How Do I Report This Properly?

netsurfelf
2008-10-31, 11:22
Hello~

First when I went to my e-mail to activate this account (Spybot Forums) it looked like it had already been clicked on. Is this possible? Only seconds had passed from registration to going to my e-mail. Subject line, etc., not in it's usual 'new mail' bold print. Never have seen that happen before. But I activated the forum account okay. So not sure what that was.

Original Issue:

Was looking up info about the 'rick-roll' videos history - went to an unintended site (mean to go to a different one I'd seen before). Wound up @:

http: // rick-rolld.com

Twice because the first time it happened I had another site open, too and so I actually was not sure which on was the culprit.

Took over my computer screen. A large pop-up flashed on and off from left to right. There even bogus instruction to clock on C+Alt+Delete to make it stop. This did not work. Had to do a manual shut down each time.

Is this possibly a virus or just a pain? I'm scanning now. I have a McAffee security suite, Spybot and the free A2 Anti-trojan as I have to upgrade again to the paid one. The free one does not have real time scanning so I have to initiate it manually.

Could not see how to submit the website to McAffe (which had the green "safe" checkmark next to it ) Google search results. Could that be a mistake or is it really safe? Not able to see how to send it in properly to A2 either.

Advice? Should I be worried about any of this?

Thanks~

netsurfelf
2008-10-31, 11:27
As far as the e-mail part I went back and saw there was a second message from the forum with a welcome mail. After that is when I could post even though I was able 'log in."

That is solved but the rest of what I posted about still has me worried. :sad:

Blender
2008-10-31, 13:21
Hi and welcome,

About that site --

Highly annoying, yes. Not nice language -- true.
Dangerous -- no.
It is a javascript causing the window to bounce back & forth.
I suspended the iexplore process with process explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx) then resumed it so I could get source code. (after oking 100+ message boxes saying "rick-rolld.com").
Then an endless loop of the song (uses flash) with instructions below on page how to trick others to visit & get stuck on same page.

Unless you have other issues happening on the machine I believe you are OK. Just got nailed by an annoying joke page. :oops:

Suspending iexplore.exe (right click it> choose suspend) process & then ending task (hilight task> click red x ) it gets you out. :)
Will end up killing all IE windows but hey.. better then a hard reboot.

Regards,

blender

netsurfelf
2008-10-31, 20:01
Thank You Blender! :angel:

Somehow I'd never been to a joke page like that ever before. A new paradigm for me. Always something new to learn about the online universe. All is clear per my machine's security programs, too but just wanted to be sure.

Gratitude,

N~
:)

netsurfelf
2008-10-31, 20:09
PS. Downloaded Process Explorer. Sounds like it could be helpful to have it on board~~

Blender
2008-11-02, 14:01
Hi,

Sorry for delay. Something is wrong with my notifications.

Good to hear everything is in the clear. :)

I must agree. That joke page really is annoying.
Process explorer is a kewl program but as with any other tools do be careful.

Take care & surf safe.