PDA

View Full Version : Does Spybot SD search all attached drives?

howdydooit
2008-10-31, 18:58
Hi,

I'm trying to help a buddy restore a system that was taken over by a trojan. In Win XP (assume SP2 or later), if you attached the boot drive from the target system via a USB cable to another system with SB-SD installed, will Spybot scan it?

I searched all over and I can't find any reference to what drives Spybot scans, nor can I find a parameter to set in the program itself.

Any help appreciated!

2008-10-31, 22:58
all local disks on your computer. However, I am not entirely sure if it would scan a usb drive that is connected or not...I would think it would not, as it's not a local disk, but i could be wrong. One way to tell is to see if the external drive constantly has the flashing light indicating its being used during the spybot scan of spybot. If spybot scans and finishes but you did not see the external flashing or indicating data exchange, then i guess it does not. I am pretty sure it doesn't though, because it will not scan thumb drives, and there kinda the same thing, only external drives are much bigger. haha as you can see i am really not sure on this one, however you have not lost hope. Try scanning it with another antispyware program, such as windows defender or another tool. Also, try an anti-virus such as avast or avg and see what they turn up. Hope that helps you in some way! :)

howdydooit
2008-11-01, 21:47
Thanks for the quick reply. I do not think there are LEDs on internal drives, so when you cable one to a USB port, you're not going to see it spin (just have to put your ear to the tracks!)

Anyway, we've tried a variety of things, including AVG. Eventually we'll get the bugger.