PDA

View Full Version : How to delete URL that is remembered

nitegale
2008-10-31, 22:45
Hi All

I am using IE6 with XP and even though I have deleted my cookies, history and temporary files, when I type in the brower the first letters of some URLs, they are remembered.

How did this happen and how can I delete these for good?

Regards and thanks

Paul

2008-10-31, 23:09
why have you not upgraded to internet explorer 7 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx)? It has improved security and has way better methods of erasing browser data. Anyways, back to your problem: That should do it...., have you restarted the computer and/or browser? You have gone in Internet options and deleted everything there correct? Hmm..interesting....the only thing i can offer is to update and try that. I have never seen Internet explorer remember something after you deleted it...weird..sorry i could not help any further...

PS: Also, this is the support forum for spybot search and destroy. The correct place for this topic would be in the tavern (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=19). Thanks! :)

drragostea
2008-10-31, 23:10
nitegale, you'll have to clear your cookies and temp. files from your browser. To do this manually, open Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options.

FYI, this section of the forum is queries for Spybot-Search&Destroy. You've posted in the wrong place.

Edit: I've re-read it again.
I'm not sure if this is like a similar function to Mozilla Firefox, but say like you have bookmarks and favorites, then it will give the link to you there. Like a bookmark toolbar.

md usa spybot fan
2008-11-01, 05:11
nitegale:

What probably isn't being cleared are typed URLs.

They can be cleared using Spybot as follows:
Close IE.
Go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced mode (answer yes to the warning message if necessary) » Settings » File Sets.
Right click on the listing of file sets in the right hand pane and select "Usage tracks check only".
Click on the Spybot-S&D in the left pane.
Click on the Search & Destroy button in the left pane.
Click "Check for problem" in the right hand pane.
When the scan completes, expand the "Internet Explorer" item by clicking the plus sign (+) in front of it.
Look for and check the items ending with "…Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs".
Click the "Fix selected problems" button.
Go back into Spybot » Settings » File Sets.
Right click on the listing of file sets in the right hand pane and select "Spyware check only".
Alternative using RegEdit (or RegEdit32):
Close IE.
Go Start » Run:
Type regedit (or regedit32) into Open block and click the OK button.
Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs
Delete all the values such as Url1, Url2, Url3, etc. except for the (Default) value.

K-Rock
2008-11-02, 03:57
You also need to turn the option off for IE to remember typed URLs. Go to:

TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS click on the CONTENTS tab. Click on AutoComplete. Uncheck all the boxs you do not want IE to store information that you type in. Click clear passwords if you want, just keep in mind that you can not get those passwords back if you did not write them down.