PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.6 and IE7 - can't enable cookies

duckbilled
2008-11-02, 17:04
Hello,

I'm not sure if Spybot is the problem here but I do think I have messed something up. I always had Adaware and Spybot on my system. About a month ago, I downloaded something nasty so I ran both of them to remove it. Spybot instructed me to install 1.6 when I tried to get the new definitions. 1.6 looks very different and I am not sure what is going on. The initial problem has been fixed but my system will no longer accept cookies regardless of the settings in IE7. I even restored IE7 to default but that didn't help. Here is what I would like to do.

1. I want to be able accept cookies.

2. I only want to use spybot for scans. I do not want protection and I don't want in running in the background.

Can someone please help me with the settings so I can get things back to normal?

Thanks!

Jeff
Detroit, MI

drragostea
2008-11-02, 18:49
Greetings Jeff.
If you wish, you can use Spybot-Search&Destroy strictly as a malware scanner, nothing less nothing more (means just scanning with no Resident Shields).

You'll have to run Spybot in Advanced Mode and disable SDHelper and TeaTimer (Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident). Just untick both of them.

I don't see how Spybot or AdAware will interfere with your cookie settings.
Go to Tools (Internet Explorer 7)>Internet Options.

Just to the Privacy tab (cookies) and set it to default. And go to the Advanced tab and click 'Restore to Advanced Settings'.

Terminator
2008-11-02, 19:18
A couple of years ago I had a conflict between Ad-Adware Pro, IE and Firefox because of Ad-Aware's Resident feature that caused problems with cookies not being recognised, I later discovered it was caused by dodgy defininition file update.

duckbilled
2008-11-03, 04:11
Problem found.

My system time and date was out of wack. Everything is good now.