PDA

View Full Version : Bad checksum!!!

macstorm
2008-11-05, 00:33
Hello,

I'm getting a 'bad checksum' error message when I try to download today's latest updates, no matter what server i choose (i tried all of them) i get the same error :scratch: (see screenshot)

Any ideas

thanostse
2008-11-05, 00:37
This thing "bad checksum" is also happening to me today, no matter which
server i choose to update.

Larry Dunn
2008-11-05, 01:06
I have seen many posts about the bad checksum problem, and the standard answer is that the system is too busy.

The standard answer is wrong. Today, I have spent much time, trying different sources, downloading one update at a time, etc. One at a time usually works pretty well with this always ticklish business. But not today.

Then I decided to download some of the unchecked items at the bottom of the screen. That is, some of the stuff I don't need. I instantly received three downloads. Impressive speed and everything.

If I can get stuff I don't need, why can't I get what I do need?

When I went to the direct download link, I got (finally) an executable. I executed it, and it installed and was happy. But none of the downloads disappeared from the list, and I still can't get them.

Something's unusually wrong here!

txlonghorn
2008-11-05, 01:07
:red:I, too, get bad checksum on all of 2008-11-04 updates.

Hello,

I'm getting a 'bad checksum' error message when I try to download today's latest updates, no matter what server i choose (i tried all of them) i get the same error :scratch: (see screenshot)

Any ideas

Alfred R. Ender
2008-11-05, 01:09
I am also getting bad cheksum error. Tried 8 different USA sites. All have bad checksum errors. How do you bring this to someones attention.

White Phoenix
2008-11-05, 01:23
Just now I tried to update and had ‘bad checksum’ errors. I came here to report it and apparently this has been going on for several months. And no one has left any answer as to why this is happening or even if the problem is being looked into. I am using 1.60 on Windows XP SP1.

LLKone1987
2008-11-05, 01:30
LLKone1987 here. I tried every single server known to mankind and have been plagued with this problem as well.

firebrddriver
2008-11-05, 01:46
Same problem here.

zanorey2008
2008-11-05, 02:21
I'm having the same problem. I tried to download the updates from all servers but they all say 'bad checksum'.

Is there a problem with the server itself? How long will it take before we can download the updates again?

cyxceven
2008-11-05, 02:31
Same issue here. Tried all the US and Global servers.

MrGreg
2008-11-05, 02:42
Same issue here as well. Obviously the definitions are corrupted in some way. I am sure the powers at be will correct this ASAP. Be patient all...

Eyestrain
2008-11-05, 02:45
Me 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10...I'm having the same problems. hopefully a mod will chime in, love the program.

Clarke
2008-11-05, 03:14
Same thing for me,
I thought something was wrong with my machine,
that's why I came looking for an answer.

I'm sure they will fix it.

graemalkin
2008-11-05, 03:30
I tried 3 European and 3 American mirrors. All returned '' bad checksum ''.

I'm sure they'll have this fixed quite soon.

Remember it's 4:29 a.m on Spybot's home base right now (and they have to sleep like we all do :) )

groucho
2008-11-05, 04:39
Thame thing here in Texuth.

Thith thucjks!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/tk_it_ez/buried.gif

But......

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/tk_it_ez/thwhen_things_look_bad-2.jpg

thecreator
2008-11-05, 04:52
Hi All,

It seems that the powers to be, wants to see how many users are using SpyBot Search and Destroy program.

I also tried many Servers and received "bad checksum" on all downloads with a Released Date of 2008-11-04.

I also tried just one out of six and still received "bad checksum" error.

rubybear
2008-11-05, 05:09
You mean to tell me that there is not one person who works for Spybot who is awake and monitoring these forums? And don't they check before issuing updates to make sure they are indeed ready and able to be downloaded by their users?

I think this is pretty ridiculous....

BTW - add me to the list of those who have tried every single 'mirror' site, with nothing but 'bad checksums'.

drragostea
2008-11-05, 05:24
rubybear, Team Spybot is working hard behind the scenes developing Spybot.

Patrick M. Kolla (PepiMK), said that there was a downtime in the servers, so I'm assuming that is probably what is causing the bad checksums.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=32751
-

SoulM8dSunshine
2008-11-05, 05:27
Same issue here...I've tried just about every mirror with the same result! :sad:

md usa spybot fan
2008-11-05, 05:35
It appears that the www.safer-networking.org/updates/spybotsd.ini file which controls the updates was released before the updates were actually staged on the update mirrors.

I suggest that you try again after the 2008-11-04 or 2008-11-05 updates are announced in the Announcements (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=2) forum.

DaveGX
2008-11-05, 05:56
I'm having the same problem as well. I thought maybe there was a possability I screwed something up systemr estoring too many times, but that never really seems to've affected SpyBot before. Several months....darn I wonder when this is gonna get fixed. Not even downloading the detection rules update separately worked!

Marianna
2008-11-05, 07:28
It appears that the www.safer-networking.org/updates/spybotsd.ini file which controls the updates was released before the updates were actually staged on the update mirrors.

I suggest that you try again after the 2008-11-04 or 2008-11-05 updates are announced in the Announcements (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=2) forum.

THANKS for the Heads-Up :bigthumb:

talon39
2008-11-05, 07:59
Same problem here. I was having some suspicious activity on my XP laptop. My anti-virus keeps disabling itself. I went to update Spybot S&D and run a scan, but I'm getting the bad checksum. I assumed that some malware had compromised my Spybot, so I actually uninstalled it and installed the latest version only to discover the same problem. Feeling a little exposed. Any way to get the updates?

DennisL
2008-11-05, 08:00
So many problems with Spybot lately, of which "Bad Checksum!!" is just one.

Spybot used to be a quality product. Not any more.

I am removing it from my computer and replacing it with another, higher quality program that at least has its act together with regard to definition updates.

Anor255
2008-11-05, 09:30
Same problem!! but we wait for the fix!!!

spybotsandra
2008-11-05, 10:25
Hello,

It should be fixed now. :)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

ME_2&
2008-11-06, 00:45
We are somewhat spoiled in having (usually) quite regular updates. Almost always every Wednesday for quite some time now. This may be both good and not quite so good, of course depending on how rigorous a schedule, etc. as applies to ones needs and expectations.

Surely Team is doing their best and that's always more than good enough for me, lol. The knot is best loosely untied . . today, tomorrow - time is relative :)

White Phoenix
2008-11-06, 05:35
The following are email messages:

I tried to update Spybot just a little while ago and despite selecting
different servers, I received “bad checksum” errors. I went to the
forum for answers and to report the problem. Apparently this has been
going on since June and is still going on. No one has left a post on the
thread to let us know what is going on. What good does it do to have a
forum for support if no one from Team Spybot reads it?

--
Sincerely,
White Phoenix

We are sorry, but we made a little mistake yesterday in the preparation of the updates. Therefore we upload the updates today earlier as usual. Further we will improve our tools for the automatic update monitoring. From now on such errors should be alerted by the system before the updates will be uploaded. We will also run sheduled tasks every few hours to see if the update servers are really working.

--
Best Regards,
Meik
Team Spybot

broxibear
2008-11-06, 19:45
I'm getting the same problem as other Posters. I thought this issue would be fixed by now. Also, it's taking forever for any files to download. I've never had these problems before. What's going on??

drragostea
2008-11-07, 05:53
What kind of connection do you have? Dial-up? DSL?
Are you downloading anything else when you are updating Spybot-SD?

ME_2&
2008-11-07, 15:22
The integral updater applet reports success, even though http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html does not seem to have more recent than Detection updates© 2008-10-29 available for separate dl ..

http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/3/11/7/f_081107m_96d004e.png

2008-11-07, 19:39
not having any problems at all......mine has been updating quite fine. What internet connection are you people that are having problems here using?

Dial up, highspeed?

ENIAC 2
2008-11-08, 22:22
In the U.S., running MSN dial-up. SB SnD 1.6, T Timer off and IE browser running. It's the 8th of Nov. already and I just discovered this problem yesterday since I only crank SB SnD up about every three weeks. I'm very patient though because I know it will be fixed before the world comes to an end and before Pepi starts charging us for this absolutely marvelous critter gitter. :present:
I did donate 30 bucks though so I feel goooood about myself.

drragostea
2008-11-09, 02:21
ENIAC, a slow connection might be the culprit for the bad checksums error.

Can you try another server?

SoulM8dSunshine
2008-11-09, 05:10
I'm in Canada on high speed.

I finally managed to get the updates downloaded on November 5th or 6th.

drragostea
2008-11-10, 00:46
If you have received a bad-checksum, it has been fixed already after November 5th.

It's kind of difficult repeating myself, when all the information is already in the thread.

ENIAC 2
2008-11-10, 03:37
Thank you for the reply drragostea. Now that I think about it, my problem may not be related to this topic because when I click to download from any server, SBs main interface closes then reloads. Then the download window pops back up still saying "Bad checksum". I haven't checked my KIS 07 to see if it could be the culprit. Guess I should do that huh? Well. that didn't work. I deleted all the app rules in my firewall and now I get "Error retrieving update info file" when I click to check for updates but the program doesn't shut down anymore. I think it's time to re-install since it was closing and reloading. Thanks for the help and I'll post back.

P.S. I'm averaging 40k connection speed so that shouldn't have anything to do with it.

drragostea
2008-11-10, 04:12
Hrm, Kaspersky AV 2007 shouldn't have anything to do with this, and connection is fine. I mean a dial-up connection can download the updates with no problems.

What version of Spybot-SD are you running (Help>About)? You can open the program with no problems right?

littlebity
2008-11-10, 04:48
I am getting the same error. Just tried updating now...Thanks

drragostea
2008-11-10, 04:52
If you have received a bad-checksum, it has been fixed already after November 5th.

It's kind of difficult repeating myself, when all the information is already in the thread.

littlebity:

littlebity
2008-11-10, 05:13
I am getting the same error. Just tried updating now...Thanks

Just wanted to let everyone know that I uodated everything and then went back and hit download again and it worked. Sorry to bother you ....Thanks :)

ENIAC 2
2008-11-11, 04:04
Hello again drragostea, I am running 1.6.0.30 and yes the program does open. Now that I recall, I disabled KIS 7 and S B started the downloads but while I was watching my packet sniffer, I started getting bombarded on 135 and several DCERPCs so I re-enabled KIS then SB stopped downloading and threw the "Bad checksum" at me again. I searched through Kasper's forum and found a post a few months old and a couple of the pros on there advised the poster not to run T Timer (which I knew already) and not to immunize. That I didn't know. Why they suggest to not immunize, I do not know. I am going to re open the thread and ask what the issue is and what the "from experience with it" is. I pasted a few snippets from the thread below. I also agree that Kasper should not be able to close S B and then it reload. ????? I do not have auto immunize enabled either. Thank you for the help and your patience, I'll post back with any findings, ENIAC

Q: Just a quick question - is Spy Bot Search & Destroy compatable with KIS 7.0.1.321 ?

A: officially no.
but you should be able to run the on demand scanner without issues (so no tea timer, imunization and all that stuff)

Q: blah blah blah

A: You can certanly use Spybot just the advice is to disable tea timer & imunization..................from experience with it.

Larry Dunn
2008-11-11, 23:04
I've been thinking, again. Not a good idea.

Why should we sort-of-average users have to think about whether we're downloading stuff from Asia, or Europe, or USA? Generally, we just push a button and have things happen - or in some cases not happen.

From the things I do, I would say that the system is too complicated, if the team can do such things as announce an update before it's actually ready. It calls for a greater degree of automation, or simplicity, or something.

By the way, I got the Bad Checksum today, but only on one workstation. That's what I call progress.

The others were flawless, but one bombed entirely. It's been my experience that if one update get a Bad Checksum, they all do. So I often select just one at a time for downloading. It seems to help.

My blather will end with the final note that a fully designed, completed product would not put this kind of burden on the user.

PepiMK
2008-11-11, 23:24
Hmmm...

Well, there is one reason why the user should choose between mirrors, but its indeed not a usability reason ;)
Spybot-S&D is free for personal use, and most update mirrors are donated by volunteers, so they at least want their name recognized when their server is used.

The 2.0 updater is not mentioned in the bigtracker yet, but if you follow the 2.0 blog (http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php), you'll notice that we do currently spend al ot of time thinking about usability. Next weekends blog post is already have done, but I might blog about the updating stuff in 2.0 the week after. While we were always fans of giving the user total control over what gets downloaded from where (the ideal from the privacy standpoint imho), we have "sadly" acknowledged that many many users don't want to care about that, so we have planed a "regular" background download of updates without user interactions required at all (with manual updates still available in some way, e.g. necessary when running from a boot CD).

drragostea
2008-11-13, 04:56
Where did you get the Q&A from ENIAC?
You'll want to read this first:
http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php?b=31
-

ENIAC 2
2008-11-15, 04:19
drragostea, I got the Q&A from Kaspersky's forum.

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=59642&hl=Spy+Bot+S&D

When I went back to get the link for you, I found another one concerning SB.

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=51617&hl=Spy+Bot+S&D

The third poster in that one was bad mouthing SB but I just discounted his opinion as I have never have had any conflicts with KIS and SB. I do however leave Tea Timer disabled so as not to create conflict. The link you posted now has totally confused me. All of the rants and raves have Kaspersky on top as far as effectiveness and I have had no problems with it yet (unless not being able to update SB is a conflict). I occasionally run Shields Up and the Symantec Security Check and pass with an A+. In fact, Shields UP informs me that Windows is not normally that stealth and secure. I also run SB, MS Malware Removal Tool (Downloaded version), Rootkit Revealer and occasionally shut down KIS and run Windows Defender as a second opinion. Now, after reading the blog you posted the link to concerning Kaspersky, my little security bubble is starting to deflate. I know, I can go into a state of denial, right? LOL I used to have SRH (Symantec Resource Hog) but dumped it for Kaspersky and it nailed several critters that Symantec missed. Of course, all are different in their ways and I'm sure that some other engine would probably find stuff that Kaspersky missed. OK, back to denial. I guess I had better do some research here. Right now I am under the impression that the two will get along fine as long as I leave Tea Timer disabled and do no more immunizations.

drragostea
2008-11-15, 05:17
It sounds to me that people who have not even tried Spybot are making judgements based on what they hear, not what they see. I feel that is just stupid. PepiMK wrote in his blog that when Symantec first started uninstalling products from Norton user computers due to "incompatibilities", McAfee and Kaspersky later followed [the theme: Hey, if they can do it and no body's complaining, we can too].

Really... stupid.
http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=86138&st=0
http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php?b=31

Right now I am under the impression that the two will get along fine as long as I leave Tea Timer disabled and do no more immunizations.
Er... IMHO I really don't see how the Resident Shields may conflict (well KAS might have a similar feature, but I don't see any conflicts until something happens, like a system slowdown). And Kaspersky does not offer a HOSTS protection.

thebullfrog
2008-12-15, 04:37
Kind of rediculous. To the point of saying screw it, I'll get a different anti spyware app. Been almost 2 months now and I STLL get the same bad checksum error from EVERY server. I haven't been able to update the advanced detection library since 10/22/08 despite claims here of it being fixed. The program is pretty much useless if it's months out of date. I can update everything except the advanced detection library just fine, but I've been getting the supposedly long since fixed bad checksum error every time I try it for weeks upon weeks now.
If it matters I'm using Vista Home Premium SP1, in the US, on high speed broadband. Connection issues aren't a problem. The problem is with the program updater or the update itself. Getting old.

drragostea
2008-12-15, 05:02
bullfrog, what version of Spybot-SD are you using (Help>About)? You've tried every mirror update server? :snorkle:

thebullfrog
2008-12-15, 05:23
Sorry, meant to include that in the first post. 1.6.0.30
And yes. All of the servers come back with a failed checksum.

drragostea
2008-12-16, 00:31
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=199444&postcount=5
-
Try uninstalling it and reinstall it. Directions are in the link above for a clean removal.

ENIAC 2
2008-12-16, 04:27
I am using KIS 7 and SB 1.6 right now and for some reason I started getting the "Bad Checksum" also. I was suspicious of Kaspersky so I disabled it, cranked up my Windows Defender and did an update to it. Anyway, I ran the SB update and all went well, I think. What happens is when I click to download the SB updates, my SB main window closes and then reloads after the update. I don't remember if it always did that before. You might check your other security program. I guess I'm a gluten for punishment as I just renewed my subscription to KIS. Go figure???:banghead:

drragostea
2008-12-16, 05:42
ENIAC, Spybot [sometimes] tends to restart itself because an update for a program component like TeaTimer or SDHelper has been downloaded. Regular detection updates don't really make Spybot restart itself. And about KIS... they're kind of focusing on using brute force to eliminate competition... not so good of an impression :oreo:. This thread is similiar but will give you a general idea "conflicts" in KIS:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=41589
-
Just giving my thoughts, not really going off topic here :clown:.

ENIAC 2
2008-12-20, 04:53
Sorry for the late reply drragostea, been busy around here lately. I kind of figured SB was doing what it was supposed to do. I don't intend on doing away with SB for anything. Would somebody please tell me again, why the hell did I buy a new subscription to KIS? LOL :banghead: Honestly, I do like KIS but, they are acting a fool by treating SB the way they are. Of course you and I are a minority in their eyes and they could care less. They are focusing on the millions of "I only need Kaspersky and nothing else" crowd. I guess I will just have to go through the headache of re-installing SB after I run the upgrade to KIS 09. I sure don't have the respect for it I used to have.

Merry Christmas to all who believe in Christmas. :santa:

drragostea
2008-12-20, 20:08
Would somebody please tell me again, why the hell did I buy a new subscription to KIS? LOL :banghead:
I believe Kaspersky won't stop annoying you during installation. However, you can always bypass that by installing Spybot after KAS is installed.

If you really like KIS, I can't disagree to that. I respect that. :bigthumb:

ENIAC 2
2008-12-22, 03:23
Thank you for the vote of confidence on KIS drragostea.
I was planning on a SB uninstall before the Kasper upgrade and yes, I do still like Kaspersky but I just don't like their tactics. I'll learn to live with it I guess. Also, thank you for all of your expertise help and Happy Holidays too to you and yours. :santa: