PDA

View Full Version : Any way to skip all of the trojan/malware checks except browser cookies?

Kagemusha
2008-11-05, 17:52
I consider myself a very tech savvy user. I used Windows XP for 8 years without any type of antivirus software installed and was never infected with a virus, trojan, or any type of significant malware. I attribute this to my intuition of what files extentions could contain or install malware, and what websites are questionable. This leads me to know exactly what websites not to visit at all, what file extensions not to run, and what links on questionable websites not to click. You can't argue with success, and with XP installed with no antivirus software for 8 years, and never having a trojan or viral infection speaks for itself.

I just need to know if there is a way I can configure Spybot to skip the trojan/bot/malware section of the scan and just look for browser cookies. After using free antivirus software that does not run in the background, and running one time scans on my system about once a month, I can confirm without a doubt that I never had a trojan or a viral infection. I do however always end up with malicious browser cookies. I would just like to make the scan faster by skipping everything but the browser cookie scan.

md usa spybot fan
2008-11-05, 18:22
Kagemusha:

You can control the nature of the scan you do by manipulating the file sets used in the scan. You can do that by going into Spybot » Mode » Advanced Mode » Settings » File Sets.

To just check for tracking cookies:
Clear all checks, except "Spybot - Search & Destroy - Integrated search for spybots" (which can not be unchecked). There are two ways to do that quickly.
If you have never done a "Store this combination as user defined", right click on the file set list and select "User defined combination". That leaves just the "Spybot - Search & Destroy - Integrated search for spybots" checked.
If you have stored a user defined combination", right click on the file set list and select "Usage tracks check only". Then go down to "Usage Tracking - Integrated search for usage tracks" and uncheck it. Again that will leave just the "Spybot - Search & Destroy - Integrated search for spybots" checked.
Check the Cookies.sbi file.
Run a "Check for problems".
In other words, before running a scan you just want the following two (2) items checked in Settings » File Sets:
Spybot - Search & Destroy - Integrated search for spybots
Cookies.sbi - Removes tracking cookies