PDA

View Full Version : I killed XP's Help

iborg
2008-11-06, 11:29
Hi Folks

I have managed to kill Xp's help system. I think I did this by disabling and removing something from the system startup. The error message I eventually get is 'Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service named 'Help and Support'.'

The big problem is that I have no idea what it might be as I did IT, then weeks later found that the help no longer worked.

I have gone into 'Administrative Tools' - 'Services' and found 'Help and Support' (Path to executable) 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs'.
Startup type is Automatic, but, the Service status is Stopped.

If I try to start it I get the message 'Could not start the Help and Support service on Local Computer. Error 126: The specified module could not be found.'

If any has a suggestion as to how fix this or where I could go to obtain some help, I would greatl appreciate it.

Thank you for any help anyone is able to provide.

Philip

md usa spybot fan
2008-11-06, 14:33
iborg:

Have you tried to do a system restore to a restore point prior to removing the startup entries?

iborg
2008-11-07, 02:36
I think I did when I realised that I had stuffed something up, but, even then it was a few weeks after the fact and didn't work (or I didn't go back far enough).

Thanks for the idea anyway.

md usa spybot fan
2008-11-07, 07:01
iborg:

See if the suggestions in "Why doesn't Help and Support work?" from the following Kelly's Korner article help:
Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP
Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm

iborg
2008-11-12, 10:37
Thanks for the idea.

I tried it with no success.

I will rebuild the system, which is a bit of a mess anyway.