PDA

View Full Version : Request: ClamWin integration into Spybot

johnny71
2008-11-06, 19:45
Hello,

I'm not sure if this request has been proposed before, but I wanted to request the integration of ClamWin AV (http://www.clamwin.com) into Spybot.

For those that don't know, ClamWin is a powerful free and open source AV, with the lacking of a resident or active scanner.

Would it be even possible to integrate ClamWin's AV detection into Spybot's Resident TeaTimer? If this was possible it would be the marriage of two of the best programs out there. SpywareTerminator has integrated ClamWin into their spyware solution, however I think we all agree here that Spybot is a way better program and doesn't have the bloatware.

Thanks for the consideration.

drragostea
2008-11-07, 06:59
Even though lacking a Resident Shield, ClamAV has... "poor" detection rates. Eh, and I don't really trust SpywareTerminator. I recall that it had some shady material. Was it toolbar?

Thing is, the main idea, Spybot-Search&Destroy's TeaTimer is a Resident Shield to detect critical registry changes, not like the usual "scan files on open". So in other words, if you should accidentally open a malicious file, TeaTimer will not tell you that you've opened a malicious file and there's a trojan in there, because it is not programmed to do that.

I hope this gives you a better understanding of how TeaTimer works.