PDA

View Full Version : I'm completely clueless regarding Immunization

Funchal
2008-11-09, 03:39
I'm stumped about what the immunize page is telling me and what I should do.

I've tried reading forums, searched help in Spybot and searched online, but I'm still in the dark.

I've attached a screenshot. Would someone please tell me what exactly what this page is doing? I have no idea what the difference is between protected vs unprotected and don't understand if I should select the things listed for removal or are the things listed stuff I should leave on my computer?

Thanks in advance. I love this software but this one thing has been very frustrating for me.

Oops. Guess uploading images isn't allowed.

drragostea
2008-11-09, 03:47
The Immunization function is a layer of protection that Spybot-Search&Destroy offers, to protect you from accidentally visiting malicious sites (that have the potential to infect you). For a better understanding please read this thread:
How does Spybot-SD protect against the installation of Malware/Spyware (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281)

Another explanation of how Immunization works by DougCuk:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=250328&postcount=3
-

Funchal
2008-11-09, 03:53
drragostea,

Thanks for the reply.
Those links do explain what immunization is, unfortunately it doesn't tell me how I should be handling my results.

I'm looking at my immunize results now, but do I uncheck everything on the list, or do I leave them checked? And why? Does leaving something checked mean I'm removing harmful stuff or does unchecking it mean I'm removing harmful stuff??

And what does protected vs unprotected mean?

The links don't cover any of this, I'm afraid.

Honestly, I'm not normally this dense. :rolleyes:

drragostea
2008-11-09, 04:59
Basically what Immunization will do is add an layer of protection. By default, Spybot-Search&Destroy checks all of the boxes, giving you maximum protection.

Unchecking them will basically mean that you are removing some of the protection (a general idea=not very good). I would suggest you leave the protection on, so Spybot can protect you.

Protected means that Spybot will give you protection and prevent malicious objects from installing. In other words, Unprotected will leave you vulnerable.

Funchal
2008-11-09, 15:06
Thanks again.
And what is the difference between the protected and unprotected items that show up on my scan and how do I get them all protected?

drragostea
2008-11-10, 01:09
Protected means that Spybot will give you protection and prevent malicious objects from installing. In other words, Unprotected will leave you vulnerable.

And what is the difference between the protected and unprotected items that show up on my scan and how do I get them all protected?
Like I said before there's the comparison.
However... you won't see any... "unprotected" or "protected" in a scan.

I am not sure what you mean exactly by how they "show up in a scan".

When you want to Immunize and protect all the objects, you simply go the Immunize tab>Immunize (Green Cross). And make sure all the entries are ticked.

Funchal
2008-11-11, 00:48
Oh.
Well I was getting unprotected items when I immunized. Maybe that's one of the reasons I'm confused.
I'd see under Profile my browsers, then Windows Global Host. The columns would be protected and unprotected and I'd have some of both.

That doesn't seem to be happening now though. I only have protected items.

Thanks for your help!

drragostea
2008-11-11, 03:54
Glad to have been able to help.
Remember to Immunize after every update.