PDA

View Full Version : getting email from myself?

2008-11-09, 20:15
Hi guys, recently i got 2 emails from supposedly my email address. I didn't open them, as i am smarter then that. I deleted them, and everything seems fine....Thing is, this is my primary email address, I have been careful to not post my email address anywhere, so i am curious on how they would get it. I have scanned my computer with spybot, avast, adaware, and windows defender. They report i am clean. I ran hijack this and looked at my log, and i don't see anything suspicious...my computer is not asking weird, so i think i am clean...But because this is my main account, i am scared it has been hijacked. However, i only got 2 emails, and thats it. Have not gotten any more so far, and i never opened them. I just deleted them. So, i guess what i am asking is, should i go ahead to the malware forums and get looked at? Or should i not worry about it, as i deleted them and didn't open them?

tashi
2008-11-09, 20:41
Hi 129260,

Hi guys, recently i got 2 emails from supposedly my email address.

It is easy for spammers to spoof the ‘From’ address in an email, they use software that picks a ‘From’ address at random. I receive quite a few myself.

If your computer appears to be acting normally there isn't any need to start a malware topic.

Cheers.

Terminator
2008-11-09, 21:13
I've received loads of these sorts of emails over the years, I just junk them :bigthumb:.

md usa spybot fan
2008-11-09, 21:15
129260:

I hope you know what they say about people who talk to themselves. :crazy: Receiving emails from yourself may just be a computer age extension of that problem. :wink:

2008-11-09, 21:17
thats what i thought. :) Thanks tashi and Terminator. Haha good 1 spybot fan ;) Sometimes to pass info from computer to computer i will email myself if my home network is down or something haha. You know your a real nerd when you email yourself lol. ;)

drragostea
2008-11-10, 00:39
Alright, I give in. I sent it...

Haha :laugh:.

Er, actually, you know you can open the emails from a public library or something, as long it is not your home computer O.O.

2008-11-10, 04:05
Alright, I give in. I sent it...

Haha :laugh:.

Er, actually, you know you can open the emails from a public library or something, as long it is not your home computer O.O.

LOL thats funny bud. I thought it was you... ;) jk. And yes i know :)

drragostea
2008-11-10, 04:10
A bit odd, because I never received one. I've received spam mail there were sent from 2038 O.o.

Yeah, I wouldn't do that. Just don't have the time.

2008-11-10, 04:12
A bit odd, because I never received one. I've received spam mail there were sent from 2038 O.o.

Yeah, I wouldn't do that. Just don't have the time.

haha ya, the only people that send spam and make viruses and spyware are people with to much time on there hands. Now if only everyone had jobs and wasn't bored all the time........ha just kidding. :)

drragostea
2008-11-10, 04:19
Yeah, I wanted a job.

Spambots used to dig through your Internet and Outlook Express address books and contacts list and send mass spam... -_-

:fear:

2008-11-10, 04:26
Yeah, I wanted a job.

Spambots used to dig through your Internet and Outlook Express address books and contacts list and send mass spam... -_-

:fear:

they still do that, but most of the methods now are different. Now they have a program make random email names and send them out, if the person opens them, it lets them know the account is active, and then they hijack it. Then after its a zombie, they use it to send more spam to others. That way, its impossible to figure out the original sender. Very clever, however when you have to much time on your hands haha, then you can think of things advanced like that. ;) But yup, good point there.

drragostea
2008-11-10, 04:28
Hiding through a proxy? Sort of like that situation?

2008-11-10, 04:31
Hiding through a proxy? Sort of like that situation?

most of them use proxies, although some like i said just jump through so many accounts, it would take years to trace them back to the original account that started it all. And nowadays, you can lie your way out of anything on the Internet, making it easy for pretending to be someone else..making even the first email account filled with false info. it's a nasty fiasco.

Tom.K
2008-11-11, 20:03
About spamming,
Last year, I have accidentally gave my old primary e-mail. If check the e-mail for 2-3 months, I would recieve about 1100+ e-mails. I was able to use Opt Out e-mail option, but I've accidentally removed. What a luck that the old primary e-mail could be removed! I've got from a provider a new e-mail. I have changed e-mail on my profile right after my birthday.

There are some web-pages which can make a temporary e-mail and you can avoid a junk of mail. I only know for now Jetable.org.