PDA

View Full Version : Spybot Not Fully Immunizing

xEnvious
2008-11-10, 18:33
Hello. Whenever I immunize with Spybot, the Unprotected goes from 1 to 0. However, when I click "check again", there is one unprotected. What's going on here?

md usa spybot fan
2008-11-10, 19:55
xEnvious:

What profile (category) is the unimmunized entry in?

i.e.

Firefox

Default (Cookies) – XP Count – Vista Count
Default (Images) – XP Count – Vista Count
Default (Installations) – XP Count – Vista Count
Default (Popups) – XP Count – Vista Count

Internet Explorer (32 Bit)

\Software (Cookies) – Unprotected – Protected - Total
\Software (Domains) – Unprotected – Protected - Total
\Software (IPs) – Unprotected – Protected - Total
\Software (Plugins) – Unprotected – Protected - Total

Internet Explorer (32/64 Bit)

.DEFAULT (Cookies) – Unprotected – Protected - Total
.DEFAULT (Domains) – Unprotected – Protected - Total
Windows

Global(Hosts)

xEnvious
2008-11-11, 04:04
Hello.

Under Firefox:
Default (Cookies) – 0 - 9923 - 9923
Default (Images) – 1 - 9922 - 9923
Default (Installations) – 1 - 9922 - 9923
Default (Popups) – 1 - 9922 - 9923

It blocks everything else.

Btw, I used FF 3.0.3 (or whatever is the latest). When I installed FF3, I just installed it on top of FF2 without uninstalling FF2.

md usa spybot fan
2008-11-11, 05:55
xEnvious:

I'm sorry but I am not familiar with Firefox immunization. I hope someone else will be able to help.

Greyfox
2008-11-11, 06:37
xEnvious,

As a suggestion, check your firefox browser options for a site that has explicit permission to install add ons under security, to load images under content and perhaps allowed to use cookies under Privacy.

xEnvious
2008-11-11, 07:14
The following are allowed in addons:
www.java.com
update.mozilla.org
tools.google.com
addons.mozilla.org

There are no exceptions for cookies.

Greyfox
2008-11-11, 07:50
Firefox v2 series keeps its permissions in a file caled hostperm.1.
Firefox V3 series keeps its permissions in a file called permissions.sqlite.
Spybot v1.6 from memory handles the default situation for these files differently to what earlier versions did.
Where the files are depends on what operating system you are using.
You haven't specified any of the above, and the situation is possibly more complicated by having installed Firefox V3 over Firefox V2.

So to start off:-
What operating system are you using?
What version of spybot exactly are you using?
Can you do a windows search for both of the above two files and post back the exact path to each one, or whichever one is found?

Incidentally, have you read http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=36272

xEnvious
2008-11-11, 15:49
Hello.

I am using:
Windows XP SP3
Spybot 1.6
Yes

I have missed that thread somehow O.o
But, I just did it and it works! However, I have a question. Is it okay to just empty permissions.sqlite forever?

Greyfox
2008-11-12, 00:16
Yes

The question was "Can you do a windows search for both of the above two files and post back the exact path to each one, or whichever one is found?"

How does "Yes" help?

But, I just did it and it works!

Did what exactly?

However, I have a question. Is it okay to just empty permissions.sqlite forever?

If you are now using hostperm.1 and it works, then the answer is maybe??
Do you have only hostperm.1, do you have only permissions.sqlite, or do you have both?

As I said in an earlier post
Firefox v2 series keeps its permissions in a file caled hostperm.1.
Firefox V3 series keeps its permissions in a file called permissions.sqlite.
Creating a situation where Firefox V3 uses hostperm.1 instead of permissions.sqlite might well work at this stage, but it might also come back to bite later depending on future developments in Firefox.

xEnvious
2008-11-12, 00:26
My apologies for just skimming through the questions.. I had just woken up when I replied. Sorry!

hostperm.1 is located in:
C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\pafjlbtw.default
permissions.sqlite is located in:
C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\pafjlbtw.default

Did what exactly?
There are no more unprotected immunizations when I check again on Spybot.

Do you have only hostperm.1, do you have only permissions.sqlite, or do you have both?
After doing a search, I have both.

Ah.. I see. What if I delete hostperm.1 instead? My permissions.sqlite is still in the recycling bin so should I keep it in there or restore it back to where it came from?

Greyfox
2008-11-12, 01:00
xEnvious,

If you have moved permissions.sqlite to the recycle bin, and with hostperm.1 still at C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\pafjlbtw.default, then I assume it is now working with the hostperm.1 file.

You would need to delete the hostperm.1 file, then recreate and prime a new permissions.sqlite file, then reimmunise it with Spybot.
To be honest, since what you have is now working, I would leave it as it is.

IF at some stage with ongoing changes to Firefox 3 it becomes necessary to specifically use permissions.sqlite, and given that your current v3 was installed over the top of an existing v2, then I would recommend completely uninstalling Firefox, cleaning out any remnants and then doing a clean reinstall.

xEnvious
2008-11-12, 01:11
I now have your points noted. Thanks for looking into it! :)