PDA

View Full Version : Major problems after updating spybot

jiecee
2008-11-12, 11:37
Hi, i updated Spybot-S&D 2 days ago and immediately after it i noticed my browsers acting strange, when i open any of my browsers (Firefox or Internet Explorer) my home page which is google, is taking between 5 and 10 minutes to load (in ff it keeps timing out) i am also unable to visit websites that i have always visited including blogspot sites, yahoo, my own website etc, i searched through the forums, tried to download the "small fix" but my browser will not load the site, I used the uninstall program included with Spybot-S&D to uninstall the program from my computer and I got the message: "Spybot - Search & Destroy uninstall complete. Some elements could not be removed. These can be removed manually."

I have reset all of my internet explorer options back to the default settings.

I have also done a system restore but the problem persists, any help will be greatly appreciated.

I am using windows xp sp2, and i have no idea what else i can do to try and fix this problem.

md usa spybot fan
2008-11-12, 13:46
jiecee:

Before uninstalling Spybot, did you do an immunization "Undo"?

jiecee
2008-11-12, 14:43
Thank you for replying :), yes i undone the immunization before i uninstalled and turned off the protection ( i read about it in another thread) i have had no other problems with spybot for all the years ive been using it, it seems as if its blocked me from visiting certain websites :sad:

drragostea
2008-11-13, 04:51
...Spybot-S&D to uninstall the program from my computer and I got the message: "Spybot - Search & Destroy uninstall complete. Some elements could not be removed. These can be removed manually."
A simple reboot might do.

To the point, what I can tell you is that there is something fishy hiding in your machine :laugh:. But thing is that Spybot-Search&Destroy will never interfere with your browsing or anything else. It is here to protect.

At the moment is Spybot uninstalled from your computer?
Have you run an anti-virus/spyware scan and see if it picks up anything?
What is your Operating System?
-
It sounds like malware to me, because I'm pretty sure Spybot will never put legitimate sites (like Yahoo!) in the Windows HOSTS file.

jiecee
2008-11-13, 04:58
My operating system is win xp home sp2, the problem is with both firefox and ie browsers, everything else on my pc is fine.

I have ran malware bytes, avg, adaware, macafee stinger and windows defender, there is no infections.

i have rebooted numerous times, done 4 system restores and uninstalled and reinstalled spybot. this problem started immediately after updating spybot, i had no other programs/windows running at the time.