PDA

View Full Version : Help with brastk.exe keeps loading on my computer after reinstalling OS XP

MissySmithy1968
2008-11-13, 07:42
Hello,

I hope you all can help. I am trying to type this info as fast as I can because my computer keeps rebooting, especially if am doing anything that relates to malware removal. Anyway, here's my story.

Been trying unsuccesfully for almost 4 weeks to get my two computers back to normal and still save as many of my personal files as possible. I work from home as a graphic artist. I noticed one day a while back that a red circle with a white X shows up on my tray and the warning message. Well, I use to be a Compaq tech about 10 years ago and no not to click on that . . but then I got to thinking maybe it was from microsoft. .DUH. . everything went down hill from then on. I have wiped my hard drive off with fdisk and I have fdisked the mbr, pulled my ram, pulled my CMOS, have reinstalled OS about a dozen times. . the one thing that is instersting is when the computer reboots now even after reinstalling the OS the Gateway splash screen flickers on for only a tenth of a second when it use to stay put for a little longer so you could chose BIOS or Boot option. The more I tried to get rid of the viruses and the malware the more erratic my computer would be. It got to the point where I did remove the brastk.exe and when I would reboot the computer would flash up several screens, and then come to a modified boot option and the only option would be load last configuration that was good, which told me there was a file that was making me PUT the virus back on. I was able to get into safe mode ONLY after changing the boot option under msconfig.

What I am asking is does anyone know how deep this thing is? I am not sure if it is memory resident or BIOS resident or what but it will NOT go away. And where did it come from? I can only think it was hitching a ride on a trial version I downloaded. I do not have a virus protection app because I have not had any problems for over 15 years of having a computer. I put the OS on and then scanned it using Trendmicro and it came back clean, but when I went to download the trial version of CorelDRAW X4 the computer rebooted . . .earlier it seemed to have gotten the virus again when I loaded up my drivers for the ethernet card. I just want to know if there is anything I can purchase that when I start the computer I put the CD in the drive and it will KILL anything that dosen't belong. I have run malwarebytes too. Thank you for any info.

Melissa

Blade81
2008-11-14, 21:36
Hi Melissa

Download and install TrendMicro HijackThis (http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/_download/HJTInstall.exe)
* Once installed open HijackThis by clicking Start > Programs > HijackThis and click the button labeled
Do a system scan only

* Click the scan button in the lower left hand corner of the interface and HijackThis will quickly scan your system.
* Once the scan is complete the scan button will now read save log. Click this button to save the log file to your PC. Once you select where you would like to save the file it will open in your systems default text editor. Typically this application is Notepad. Post the log here.