PDA

View Full Version : Temporary File Scanner

killerham
2008-11-14, 23:45
Hello,

Hope I am posting in the right place. When I run spy-bot it tells me that there are over 16,000 temp files, and when I click "yes" to delete them, it always says that it cannot delete any of the files. I manually removed files from my ..\windows\temp directory and spy-bot still says there are over 16K files!

Question 1: Where is spy-bot finding these temp files?
Question 2: How do I remove them (do I have to run in safe mode)?

Thanks for your help!

Greyfox
2008-11-15, 01:21
killerham,

Spybot looks at temporary file in several places. What operating system are you using, also what version of Spybot are you using?

If your OS is XP, then you should look at what temporary files are at c:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp and also at c:\Windows\Temp. There should be no files residing in these locations on a permanent basis belonging to well behaved software. There may be a very few temporary files here that are in use here during a windows session but they will be regenerated if they are deleted manually whilst in safe mode. These will generally have a date/time stamp matching the current windows session.

Also clean out your browser caches and run Windows Disk Cleanup making sure that both temporary internet files and Temporary folders are both ticked.