PDA

View Full Version : Scan takes 5 hours to complete????

Big Lu
2008-11-15, 21:42
I never heard of such a silly program that takes that long to complete a scan. Actually it was more like 6 hours.

It is very slow with the scan as I watch the monitor at the bottom of the screen.

What's up with that? It's no wonder that it is a free program because I certainly wouldn't donate anything.

I may go back to AdAware but I thought that SpyBot was supposed to be the "latest and greatest." Not to me.

PepiMK
2008-11-15, 22:50
Well, I could make a comparison with AVs where the "best" usually take the longest time ;) Still, 6 hours sounds unusual. 1.6 was sped up a lot compared to 1.5.2. A full scan takes less than 10 minutes here, compared to 3 to 5 hours for an AV scan (so if you haven't heard about such silly programs, have you never heard about AVs? ;) ).

Could you give us any system specs? What AV do you have installed (re: conflicts)?

Big Lu
2008-11-15, 23:07
1 hour into scan and it is at about 43% complete.

Big Lu
2008-11-15, 23:10
Antivirus is Time Warner/Roadrunner's CA Internet Security Suite.

Windows XP
512 RAM

Big Lu
2008-11-15, 23:13
I put AV on "snooze" for 30 minutes and things picked up with S&D.

gcaide
2008-11-30, 04:40
Hi. I am having the same problem with Spybot taking 'hours' to scan--usually around 5 hours. I read on another topic to go to 'resident' and uncheck 'tea timer'. Mine was already unchecked. I then did the other suggestion: go to settings, file sets, right click in the white area and select "spyware check only". Mine was also already set to this. I went ahead and unchecked 'resident SD helper'. Should I have done this and does anyone have any other suggestions? Also, Spybot NEVER finds any problems after scanning. This has went on for 2 years. Is it just that good to keep spyware away or is something wrong? I've emailed before regarding that but didn't get an answer. Thank you.

spybotsandra
2008-12-01, 16:02
Hello,

Which version of Spybot do you run?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot