PDA

View Full Version : Slow Scan

Imran
2006-04-12, 01:00
Hi

First of all i think Spybot is ace!! all the people that contribute toward it my hats of to you.

Now on to the problem (after that little bit of brown nosing!!:D ) When i do scan on my laptop at home it takes a very long time especially when compared to my PC at work.

At work a scan will take at most 5 minutes, on my laptop it can take between 45-90minutes.

My Laptop is a Dell, 1.5mhz intel Pentium M processor with 2gb RAM. Also it has XP operating system with SP2. It is protected with Mcafee Seurity centre (i was previously with Norton and had the same Scan times) i also use Microsoft Anti Spyware.

PC at work has 2.8 Pentium processor with 1gb RAM, it has Windows 2000 operating system it too uses McAee and Microsoft Anti Spyware.

I have attached a log/report as requested.

I hope you can help.

Imran

Imran
2006-04-12, 01:06
File did not attach, it was too big so here it is Zipped.

LonnyRJones
2006-04-12, 16:44
Hi Imran
Have you tried running SpyBot while all unessesary programs are turned off.
You sure have a lot of process's for a laptop, irregarless of ram.
Is this PC a Dual-Processor Computer ?

Imran
2006-04-12, 19:35
Hi LonnyRJones

Thanks for the reply

I've tried closing all unnecassary apps and given Spybot a whirl and get simmilar results.

The PC is a 'normal' one no dual processor.

Infact i could have a few apps open on my PC and run spybot and it still beats my Laptop with no apps open. I just can't see why???

when running the scan the Laptop takes a long time on the following:

Coolwww.search
Gain.gator
i'm not sure whether that helps?

:confused:

LonnyRJones
2006-04-13, 01:16
Hi

I think its a laptop overheating issue
More information here http://www.informationweek.com/hardware/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60300177&pgno=1

Imran
2006-04-14, 16:23
Hi

Thanks for your help

I've given my Laptop a thorough cleaning.

Running just spybot in a minimised state scans now at around 25mins which is around half of what it wad earlier.

It still takes very long when scanning Coolwww.search but on the whole the speed is better. (still not as quick as my work pc though)

The cleaning also revealed another problem which was to do with my wireless internet connection and poor signal strength, i found a lose connection which i have fixed and now my wireless connection is working brilliantly!:D

LonnyRJones
2006-04-14, 23:21
Thats good Imran

Would you try something else to ?
In SpyBot >advanced mode>settings >settings > scan priority, change it to lowest and see if your scan time is any differant

Imran
2006-04-21, 17:51
Hi

sorry for the late reply, with Easter and then the backlog of work i've not had a chance to come on to the forum.

I tried the change in setting and got a simmilar scan time:scratch:

regards

LonnyRJones
2006-04-22, 01:44
I think we are stuck with that scantime, you can probaly shorton it a bit by running ssd just after windows loads, before starting any of your other programs.

Imran
2006-04-24, 11:43
LonnyRJones

Thanks for all your help. :bigthumb: