PDA

View Full Version : help me uninstall tea timer

tsnithe
2008-11-18, 17:14
I installed spybot & the tea timer. I didnt want the tea timer so I uninstalled spybot but the tea timer is still here with no way to uninstall? its not in my add remove programs & cant find any self uninstall. How do I get rid of it?

Thanks

md usa spybot fan
2008-11-18, 17:39
tsnithe:

Have you rebooted the system?

2008-11-18, 19:32
You do know you can just turn off teatimer and still use the spybot program to scan correct? You do not need to uninstall spybot. To turn off teatimer: Open spybot-click mode advanced mode. Click yes. Then go to tools-resident. uncheck teatimer protection over all systems active. Also, you were supposed to exit out of teatimer before uninstalling spybot. It says that before uninstalling it tells you to exit out of teatimer in the help file. You might need to reinstall spybot if a reboot does not clear teatimer, and then completely remove spybot, making sure this time you exit out of teatimer first. :)

tsnithe
2008-11-19, 16:45
I unistalled spybot when tea timer was OFF. I have rebooted & its all still here. I reinstalled spybot, rebooted, turned off tea timer then uninstalled, & it is still here. I dont just want it turned off, I want it off my pc.

2008-11-19, 18:08
First exit out of teatimer. Then, go into my computer-c drive, (or whatever drive spybot was installed on) then program files. spybot search and destroy-> after in that folder, click tools, folder options. click the view tab, then under hidden files and folders, click show all hidden files and folders. then scroll down and uncheck hide protected operating system files. click ok. Delete everything in the spybot folder. (assuming you have already uninstalled spybot again.) Then go back into folder options after everything is deleted, and undo what i told you to change in folder options. Make sure hide protected operating system files is checked marked again.

Then, restart the computer. Now is it still there?

Also, you might want to download the removal tool from this link (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg)which will remove all registry entries as well. If you do this, use internet explorer to navigate to the link. You will get a message saying something has been added to the registry. The fix is complete and added to the registry. On the next system restart, it will remove all registry entries that dealt with spybot. This way spybot is completaly removed from your system. This is a very weird problem that i have not seen before, i hope this works out for you. Let us know what happened, and keep us posted. I hope everything goes well! :)

tsnithe
2008-11-22, 16:55
Its still here after doing all that....

I was one of the lucky ones that had the FP hellzlittlespy from spybot. It cost me 2 weeks & over $300 to fix my pc. So I havent done anything with spybot for months until now, & now I have teatimer trouble.

I will pass on the suggestion to get the removal tool as it will probably do something else bad to my pc. I will just leave the teatimer alone & hope it or spybot doesnt do anything more to mess me up.:sick:

Buddha1
2009-05-05, 18:23
I tried everything that I've read in the blogs. Uninstall--reinstall, don't check the teatimer box, reboot, and so on. Was able to get rid of everything except the ONE teatimer.exe. Guess what!! I renamed the extention to .jpg!! IT DON'T WORK NO MORE!!!

user_
2013-12-05, 01:06
(...) Also, you might want to download the removal tool from this link (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg)which will remove all registry entries as well. If you do this, use internet explorer to navigate to the link. You will get a message saying something has been added to the registry. The fix is complete and added to the registry. On the next system restart, it will remove all registry entries that dealt with spybot. This way spybot is completaly removed from your system. This is a very weird problem that i have not seen before, i hope this works out for you. Let us know what happened, and keep us posted. I hope everything goes well! :)

I happened to use spyboot 2.2, and then I switched to spyboot 1.6.2. Both versions ran together with another antivirus program I installed as my main antimalware protection. I think teatimer was disabled, but I’m not sure if all the time. I might have activated it temporarily to test this facility yet before I learned that it could cause a conflict with my antivirus. Now spyboot is uninstalled because I noticed some problems with the performance of my main antivirus. I had to delete manually some catalogues belonging to spyboot (C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy ; C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2; C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy – one of these operations demanded turning my computer on in the safe mode, I don’t remember which one). Now I would like to get rid of all registry entries that spyboot 1.6.2 has created before I install 2.2 version again. I browsed the registry looking for the content that one can find in your link (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg), but I found only these positions instead:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"SpybotSD TeaTimer"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Spybot - Search & Destroy\\TeaTimer.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Spybot2.SDSFile]
@="Spybot script"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Spybot2.SDSFile\DefaultIcon]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\\SDScript.exe\",0"

I guess that only the first one has been created by 1.6.2 version. Can I simply delete it without damaging my system? I have Windows 8 if it matters.

user_
2013-12-05, 01:42
:) Till now I didn’t know what to do with your link, but I’ve just learned that if I copied your code into a text file (notepad), changed its extension to .reg and opened it, it’d make some changes in my registry. Is it safe to use this code in Windows 8?

InventingJoy
2013-12-05, 03:27
[QUOTE=tsnithe;254398]I installed spybot & the tea timer. I didnt want the tea timer so I uninstalled spybot but the tea timer is still here with no way to uninstall? its not in my add remove programs & cant find any self uninstall. How do I get rid of it?

Why do you want to remove it? Puppy love from Iinventing Joy & the Furry Folk

user_
2013-12-05, 05:57
tsnithe wanted to remove teatimer 5 years ago. I don’t think this user is still active. I borrowed this thread instead of creating a new one, so only my questions are new. As I don’t think you’ll get any answer from the person you have quoted, I’ll let myself to respond on behalf of the absent. I suppose that tsnithe used spybot only for occasional system scanning whereas teatimer blocks unwanted registry changes in real time. You can install several programs for scanning on your computer, but only one should protect your system constantly running in the background. Too many players in this team would paralyze your system. You can combine spybot with other antimalware programs safely, but if you use older versions containing teatimer module, it’s better to either turn this component off or resign from using other anti-virus programs. I hope this was helpful. Best regards to Inventing Joy & the Furry Folk :)

Zenobia
2013-12-05, 07:54
:) Till now I didn’t know what to do with your link, but I’ve just learned that if I copied your code into a text file (notepad), changed its extension to .reg and opened it, it’d make some changes in my registry. Is it safe to use this code in Windows 8?
That .reg file is really old,and some things in it might be different now.Merging it into the registry probably wouldn't hurt anything,but still......I'm thinking no.
This page shows how to back up a registry key:
http://helpdesk.illinoisstate.edu/kb/1115/Backing_up_and_restoring_registry_keys_in_Windows/
If you wanted to get rid of the teatimer registry key,you could probably just back it up first,and then delete it. :)

user_
2013-12-05, 10:01
Thank you, Zenobia, for your suggestion. It was very useful. To be honest, I knew how to make a backup, but I didn’t know and never wondered how one restores a damaged registry, haha. :)
Actually, I've found more registry keys left by spybot. http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner - this thing did it for me. It also deleted that surplus. Now my registry is tidied up, and it seems that everything still works. Obviously, the entry I asked about in my earlier posts is one of the erased :)

Zenobia
2013-12-06, 01:31
You're welcome. :)
CCleaner is a great program overall,so it's good you got it.
But as for the registry cleaning part of it,or any registry cleaning program,really,there's a couple things to consider.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?30038-Registry-Cleaners-not-recommended
And I'll add in this article,'cause I like it's mojo,too. :D:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/registry-cleaner/a/registry-cleaner-faq.htm

user_
2013-12-06, 19:28
Any algorithm cleaning my registry is just an algorithm, and as such it’s not trustworthy. No doubt about it :)