PDA

View Full Version : Spybot & www.total-antivirus-scan.com to 127.0.0.1

Tampa-Terry
2008-11-19, 16:42
I'm running a number of programs designed to protect my system from malware. There is a conflict I am not able to resolve between Spybot 1.6.0.30 and Online Armor 3.0.0.190.Free.

* I rebooted, started Spybot, updated and immunized prior to running a scan

* Received a pop-up notification from Online Armor that said "A program wants to change your hosts file. What does it want to do? Set www.total-antivirus-scan.com to 127.0.0.1," which is my local host.

* Tried to access that website in my browser, and my browser reports that it is unable to access that website, that it couldn't establish a connection

* I did a search on the Internet and could only find "www.total-antivirus-scan.com" listed as an item in an archived/cached hpHosts file ... at the following address http://64.233.183.132/search?q=cache:fa6L56O2Vr8J:hosts-file.net/hphosts-partial.asp+%22www.total-antivirus-scan.com%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Is there cause for concern? What would you advise?

md usa spybot fan
2008-11-19, 17:19
Tampa-Terry:

The immunization item "Global (Hosts)" listed under "System" adds entries to the system's HOSTS file. Those entries equate malicious site names (domain names) to the localhost (your system - IP Address 127.0.0.1), affectively blocking access to those sites.

I suggest that you check the "Remember ..." option followed by clicking the "Allow" button in Online Armor to let the process complete.

Tampa-Terry
2008-11-19, 17:30
Thank you, MD!!! I wasn't sure if I was "remembering" (i.e., approving) the allowance of access to that site or the addition of that site to the global hosts file. You cleared that up for me.

I appreciate the fast reply!!! And, too, I appreciate your (and the rest of the team's) efforts in helping keep us malware free!

md usa spybot fan
2008-11-19, 17:39
Tampa-Terry:

You're welcome.

Also note that Online Armor tracks individual HOSTS file entries, so you may have to the repeat the same process when immunizing after each week's Spybot updates if there are changes to Spybot's HOSTS file entries.