PDA

View Full Version : Cannot turn off secure-unsecure popups

kymmi88
2008-11-22, 00:58
I used Spybot to remove an infection with Virtumonde a couple months ago. At some point during the virus removal process, I must have blocked a process or change and now I cannot make changes to my IE settings.

I can access Internet Options, make any changes I want and save, but it will not retain the settings. I can change my homepage with no problem, it will save that, but nothing I configure on the advanced tab. I have unchecked every possible setting I can find for IE in Spybot but can't figure it out. Can anyone tell me how to get control of IE back? The pop-ups are driving me nuts.

drragostea
2008-11-22, 01:29
The only option in Spybot that is relevant in IE is to lockdown the Internet Options" option in Tools to prevent abuse/misuse or unauthorized changes. If you have unticked that I am not sure what else it may be, I'm definitely sure it was not Spybot. I'm suspecting that it may be the malware.

What pop-ups?

kymmi88
2008-11-22, 04:32
The IE pop-ups warning that you are leaving a secure website or about to enter a secure zone. I can click "do not show this message" but it won't save the setting.

drragostea
2008-11-22, 06:00
Any malware symptoms? Slow computer?
-
Run a scan with Spybot and see what it detects. Make sure you have the latest version.

md usa spybot fan
2008-11-22, 06:28
kymmi88:

What Windows OS do you have and what version of Internet Explorer are you running?

Do you have either of the following registry entries?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]
"AdvancedTab"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]
"AdvancedTab"=dword:00000001
Those entries apparently lock the settings on the Advanced Tab in IE's Internet Options.

kymmi88
2008-11-23, 19:32
I'm running Windows XP SP3 and IE 7.0. I have Spybot version 1.6. I ran a scan and it just found tracking cookies: DoubleClick, FastClick, RightMedia and Zedo.

My computer hasn't slowed down at all that I've noticed, and neither of those entries are in my registry.

I tried resetting IE to default settings and that didn't work either.

kymmi88
2008-12-02, 05:44
I finally found the solution so I thought I would share it.

I needed to create the following key "WarnOnHTTPSToHTTPRedirect" as a DWORD value within
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" and set to 0.

Still don't know why it started happening but thank goodness its fixed.