PDA

View Full Version : Kaspersky 2009 conflicts

groucho
2008-11-22, 17:00
Sorry *if* this a duplicated post
Yes I did a search before I started this.

As with all other Kaspersly 2009 users, you already know that IT automatically deletes Spybot.

Whether it uses the" Very small fix" shown at this post is beyond me:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

Maybe they think the recommended Reg Supreme byMacecraft is supposed to remove it...correctly.

My question:

Ever since I reinstalled Spybot according to Sandra's instuctions:

The only thing that can cause conflicts is more than one resident function,

but that can be easily turned off in Spybot.
That's the way to deactivate it: run Spybot-S&D, switch to the "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" --> hit "YES" --> select "Tools" in the navigation bar on the left --> "Resident" and there you can untick the checkboxes in front of the two tools.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

This program is Flat not working correctly.

When I run scans....it finds....Nothing.

Something seems wrong.

I think it should at minimum find:
-- Usage Tracks
-- Logs
-- History
-- Cache
-- Windows Explorer
-- All the usual things we all use this for, until you pick up something Really ugly.

I am NOT gonna trust one single program on these type of threats.

I got into advanced mode from another 'puter NOT running K-09 and duplicated the ticked items, and what Sandra recommended.

Seeking advice and opinions.....hopefully from Kas-09 experiences lately.

Rants and bad-mouthing are OK by me too.

Makes life interesting. :p:

Thanks in advance!

Groucho

md usa spybot fan
2008-11-22, 18:04
groucho:

When I run scans....it finds....Nothing.

Something seems wrong.

I think it should at minimum find:
-- Usage Tracks
-- Logs
-- History
-- Cache
-- Windows Explorer
-- All the usual things we all use this for, until you pick up something Really ugly.
By default Spybot normally scans for spyware only, not for usage tracks. If you want to scan for the above items, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Settings > File Sets. The last two items are "Usage Tracks" and should only be checked if you want to check for them. The first of these two items (Usage Tracking) lists IE Cache (temporary internet files), Common Dialogs, Cookies (see Note #1 below) and some Logs. The second item (Tracks.uti) will list various MRUs (Most Recently Used) records.

Note #1: To ignore selected cookies from purge:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Ignore cookies > check any cookies that you want to keep.

groucho
2008-11-23, 05:47
Thanks for the reply md.

Usage tracks are both checked.

This is baffling me, since I consider Spybot one of my best protective programs and version 1.6 is MAX KICK A**!

I took a LOT of time making *sure* all the same boxes are checked on the non-2009 Kasp. (vs) the New Kasp. 2009.

Ever since then...Spybot never finds spit, which dubiously might be a good deal...I just don't happen to trust any single program.

That's why I haven't used my 2nd licence out of 3...just to see what would happen.

*IF Kaspersky 2009 alone is sufficient*..then it was well worth the money. :bigthumb:

If you or anyone else who cares to chime in states the same....then I won't go to the trouble of removing it..correctly, and re-installing it.

Whaddaya think?

Grouchie

drragostea
2008-11-23, 22:56
If Spybot comes back clean, it's always good to know that nothing bad has been lurking around.

And of course, you can always use Spybot as a on-demand spyware scanning, nothing else and nothing more (scanning w. no Resident Shields).

Does Kaspersky tell you that Spybot-SD is incompatible?

PepiMK
2008-11-23, 23:35
Usage tracks should indeed be found nearly all of the time, if they're enabled, an empty list of scan results is quite unlikely.

Can't imagine an incompability with Kaspersky in the on-demand scan though... if Kaspersky would be the reason, it would not be an incompatibiliy but an deliberate attempt...

groucho
2009-01-10, 05:24
:greeting:

I'm baaaack.....installing Kaspersky’s latest 2009 version on my D’HELL laptop…build 8.0.0.506 CF2, this time.
A much better version than 8.0.0.454 IMHO.

drragostea and PepiMK:
Nope, Kaspersky doesn't actually tell you that Spybot is incompatible.

It simply removes the program :eek: during the install, and never has worked correctly since then.

Think Micro$oft would tell anyone that Windows ME was code named:
Windows ME-stake? :oops:

I read somewhere recently that they're releasing a beta of Windows 7.
Are Vista's slow $ales another ME-stake........ perhaps?

I can only surmise that it is/was a deliberate attempt.
I can’t imagine that……either.
When I tried an experiment and did tick those boxes: I was rewarded with a BlueSOD, and had to do a Recovery.

Let me see how this upgrade goes and I’ll post back for the benefit of any other Kaspersky users.

Groucho

drragostea
2009-01-10, 06:05
drragostea and PepiMK:
Heh, that's even more disappointing and sad than prompting you and then removing it.

Keep us posted.

Greyfox
2009-01-10, 07:15
It simply removes the program during the install..

And you allow software that does that to remain on your computer ????

Matt
2009-01-10, 11:45
It simply removes the program :eek: during the install, and never has worked correctly since then.[/FONT]

:eek: :blink: First, I had to laugh after I read this sentence. ;)

Kaspersky delets Spybot intentionally wihout telling you. This software and it's developers aren't trustable in my eyes. Well, Kaspersky was never a friend of Spybot. :mad: :)

groucho
2009-01-10, 11:53
You betchya I do!
:bigthumb:

For the $mall donations I have made (although not as much as Kaspersky 2009 retail at $80 for three licenses), IMHO it's one of the Best protective programs I use.

IF they could be combined effectively.....what a protection package you'd end up with.
Particularly if you use IE version 6 or 7.

Cheers to the Spybot folks! :beerbeerb:
The process starts: now.

I'll post back.

Groucho

Matt
2009-01-10, 12:03
Particularly if you use IE version 6 or 7.

I'll never use the IE again... I love Firefox since it has been released the first time... :FF::FF::FF: :D: ;)

Thank you for this update. :)

groucho
2009-01-10, 20:16
:hair:

AAAAARRGH!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/tk_it_ez/Spybotincompatibility.jpg

For the LIFE of me I can't understand this!
You HAVE to press "Next >" or it aborts the install.

There's a work around, but I (anyway...maybe not for more experienced users) lose the ability to remove Usage Tracks.

Grouch-ie, today....90 minutes to do this correctly.

I agree, but....I can't use Firefox most of the time Mark....too many of my KKKorporate vendors and suppliers use IE.

It's a Micro$oft world in business and I can't change that.

drragostea
2009-01-10, 20:24
Well, that's just disappointing. They won't even spare users who use Spybot as a strict only spyware scanner. To me, I don't really see how it might conflict (besides a few issues [not really that significant] with the Immunization).

A simple bypass for me would be to install Spybot after the computer has been rebooted after the KIS installation.

:fear:
Thanks for the updates groucho.

PepiMK
2009-01-10, 20:52
It's been more than 6 weeks since k_baz started another attempt to get us into contact with K. (blog entry (http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php?b=31), scroll down for comment). No success at all.

I think they know as much as we do that their behaviour is purely illegal unfair competition and are afraid to say a single word because they know it might be used against them.

Well, if anyone wants to bear witness that Kaspersky did reduce your systems security by forcing you to uninstall security software, and that you might have been financially damaged because you can't use the software you donated to, please email us at http://forums.spybot.info/misc.php?do=email_dev&email=bGVnYWxAc3B5Ym90LmluZm8= - we're back to legal roads now and are busy heaping up data against them.

groucho
2009-01-11, 01:09
Just did that PepiMK.

Good info., and Good luck! :bigthumb:

That is: BS!

My real name and address (and) a copy of that screen print were included.

Groucho

Matt
2009-01-11, 19:08
I think they know as much as we do that their behaviour is purely illegal unfair competition and are afraid to say a single word because they know it might be used against them.

Quoted For Truth :yes: ;)

Matt
2009-01-11, 19:13
I agree, but....I can't use Firefox most of the time Mark....too many of my KKKorporate vendors and suppliers use IE.

I know... :sad: