PDA

View Full Version : Need advice deleting program files please!

virusvictim
2008-11-23, 02:57
I'm cleaning up my existing old (2002) computer so I can set up a newer computer and put the old one in my 9-year old grandson's room (and use wireless network router to give internet access-but that's another post). Thanks to the efforts of a special SNF Security Expert the old one is now virus- and malware-free, but I have some questions about removing what seem to be lingering files and I'm hoping one of you "experts" can help me out!

Two folders under C:/Program Files - WebSavings and *WildTangent - still have files in them but those programs do not appear in the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs list. Is it OK to simply delete those folders and files? I may previously have removed the programs from the Add/Remove list and just don't remember doing it. I don't know if removing programs that way leaves extra files that you need to manually delete.

*I don't play games so I'd just as soon eliminate WildTangent whether it's spyware or not. Probably was downloaded by my daughter, who no longer lives here. She used AIM and played games.

The same as above is true for Norton Antivirus (which my daughter installed without asking) - it's not on Add/Remove list but still has a folder under Program Files with files in it, and it still appears in the list of all programs when clicking the Start button.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

tashi
2008-11-23, 04:21
Hello virusvictim,

Please ask those questions in your topic here: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=36085&page=3 ;)

Cheers.