PDA

View Full Version : PC no longer keeping date and time

spazrabbit2000
2008-11-23, 19:47
Hi, I have another PC which is malware- and virus-free. After not using it for a long time, I noticed that it stopped keeping the date and time accurate.

Whenever I'd turn it on, the date/time that shows up is that of the last time I used the computer. What could be the problem? Thanks in advance.

Terminator
2008-11-23, 21:33
It sounds to me like the motherboard Battery is on the way out and needs replacing.

md usa spybot fan
2008-11-23, 23:47
spazrabbit2000:

If you have an Owner's Manual for your system, I strongly suggest that consult the manual before attempting to replace the CMOS battery. If not, I suggest that you obtain an Owner's Manual or contact your computer manufacturer for assistance in replacing the CMOS battery.

Caution!

Electric shocks can be hazards (or fatal) and Electro-Static Discharges can damage (or destroy) your computer. If you are in the least bit hesitant about opening the case of your PC, please err on the side of caution and seek professional help.

spazrabbit2000
2008-11-24, 06:49
Yeah, I'm definitely getting a professional to get that done. Thanks for the warning.

Do you guys think it's urgent, though, or can it wait? I mean, I don't really mind setting the date and time...

P.S. Won't I get a warning message or something from my computer?

Terminator
2008-11-24, 12:57
The first you'll know your systems in trouble is when it won't boot, I know this because a similer thing happen on my old Win 95 system. What had happen was I hadn't used it for years and when I finally turned it on again it said it couldn't find the Hard Drive:oops: (major DOH! moment) I had to reboot 3 times before Windows would boot. It turned out that in the interveaning years the battery had gone completely flat that's why it wouldn't boot untill the It had charged up again.

To cut along story short you'd better change the battery ASAP or you'll wake up one day soon to a completely dead system:sad:.

spazrabbit2000
2008-11-24, 18:33
Thanks for the advice guys. Will get the battery checked out this weekend.