PDA

View Full Version : Scan Progress Status Bar Won't Start

toddhome
2006-04-15, 03:42
I've used older versions of Spybot in the past with no problems. However, when I clicked "Check for Problems" yesterday the scan progress in the status bar at the bottom of the window never started.

Instead it opened up a box below the "Check for Problems" box that said, "Please Wait... Scan in Progress..." That box stays there for about a min then it disappears and then the cursor gets an hourglass next to it. The scan progress in the status bar at the bottom of the window never starts.

I uninstalled SpyBot and reinstalled it three times and I still can't fix it. Any ideas?

Thanks!!!
Todd

MMR_13
2006-04-17, 11:29
I too had this problem.

My problems started when all of a sudden URLs typed into the address bar on Internet Explorer wouldn't work. I had to add the http:// prefix to get it to work.

My IE was also running very slow and failing to load pages. Then Spybot 1.3 would update but not run - the progress bar just never started.

I read the articles on slow scan and left it for 5+ hours but when I came back the bar hadn't moved at all (or even appeared). I then tried uninstalling and installed version 1.4. Same problem. I then installed the replacement exe for a different problem. Same issue.

My recollection was that all these problems started after I received the latest Microsoft Updates. I checked and there is a known problem if you also have HP Share To Web installed on your PC: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

I completed the registry fix in the article. Stopped the process as recommended, closed all my browser windows and reopened. Hey presto URLs typed into the address bar now work and Spybot ran first time.

If you have HP Share to Web installed on your PC and are running Windows 2000 or XP then I suggest you try the fix. HP Share to Web is automaticall installed when you install any HP software for scanners or cameras.

toddhome
2006-04-23, 23:39
Maggi,
Those are exactly the same symptoms I have been experiencing. Even the trouble with entering URLs into that address field. Thank you so much for the link.
-Todd