PDA

View Full Version : Scan taking hours, used to be 10-15 minutes

lhrogerss
2008-11-25, 15:33
Hi,

A spybot scan used to take 10-15 minutes on my computer. Today it's taking hours. It hasn't found anything yet.

I just did a Norton scan earlier this week and it didn't find anything.

I usually scan (the two above and AdAware), defrag, and clean up the disk monthly.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Luke

spybotsandra
2008-11-25, 15:52
Hello,

Which version of Spybot do you run?
Could it be that you are running an old version like 1.5.2?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

lhrogerss
2008-11-25, 17:13
Indeed it could. It's 1.5.2.2.

So what does that indicate?

Thanks,

Luke

spybotsandra
2008-11-25, 17:32
Hello,

Please download our current version Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.
You will find links to several download locations for this new version on our web site:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
Please search for new updates after installing Spybot-S&D 1.6.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

wazza2004
2008-11-25, 21:24
I am running 1.6.0.31 version of spybot yet have the same problem of it taking ages. It would speed up to midway mark then crawls for ages then speeds up near the end.

I run windows xp. This problem is on my pc and laptop.

rbrtpig
2008-11-25, 22:07
I am using spybot 1.6.0.0 and last week it took 14 hours to scan 36 GB on my pc, why?

bw4444
2008-11-26, 03:36
I am running 1.6.0.31 version of spybot yet have the same problem of it taking ages. It would speed up to midway mark then crawls for ages then speeds up near the end.

I run windows xp. This problem is on my pc and laptop.

I'm using 1.6.0.30, but I just noticed this problem too.

I'm pretty sure the problem on my system is a "conflict" with AVG Free's Resident Shield. I'm running the latest version (8.0.175) of that.

Spybot was doing it's scan thing at the normal pace. Then I noticed it had virtually stopped. I checked (with Process Explorer) and found that AVG's Resident Shield was taking most of the CPU. I disabled it and spybot took off and completed very quickly.

I googled the problem and it seems there has been a similar problem in the past, but I couldn't find out whether it was resolved.

Maybe it's not necessary to run AVG Resident Shield as well as tea-timer, though I like to run them both. I don't know if they conflict, or if it's just spybot scan and AVG Resident Shield.

Hope this helps.

Debbie 58
2008-11-26, 11:11
I am having exactly the same problem. Spybot took over 3 hours last week. I too have AVG and scan times increased dramatically when AVG 8 was installed a few months ago.
A friend of mine is having the same problem and aborted the scan after 4 hours.
I use Spybot 1.6.030 and have tea tmer disabled. I have even gone as far as uninstalling Spybot and doing a clean reinstall. All to no avail.
It seems a step too far to have to disable something in the AV to enable Spybot to run quickly.
By the way I have a laptop which also has AVG8 but that scans in 10 minutes. It has a smaller hard drive, is fairly new and has less on it although proprtionately has less freee space on its drvie.

Debbie 58
2008-11-26, 15:43
Okay I found the solution.
After todays updates I decided to disable AVG 8s resident shield after turning off my router.
Spybot ran in 26 minutes.
So that is the solution. Turn off your AV resident shield and you will get a normal scan time if you have AVG 8 as your AV.
Not satisfactory but can be worked round once you know the answer.