PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP SP3 Problems

psnart45
2008-11-26, 04:59
I've been trying to download Windows XP Service Pack 3 to my home PC. I keep getting stuck due to a "Registry Error". The update then aborts and kicks me out.

Is it possible that Spybot S&D changed something in my registry that is preventing the SP3 installation for going through? If so, is it possible to undo whatever has been done, so that I can get the update accomplished.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

drragostea
2008-11-26, 05:38
Spybot wouldn't be doing anything that would interfere with Windows Update.

What "registry error"? From whom?

psnart45
2008-11-26, 18:45
After about 45 minutes of downloading and installing the update, I get an error message "Access is Denied" and then the installation aborts.

I'd appreciate any ideas. I don't know if it matters, but I am also running AVG Free anti-virus protection. I've tried removing both Spybot and AVG in an attempt to get the update to go through, but the results were the same. I've gone back and re-installed both AVG and Spybot to be protected again.

Thanks for any help.

tashi
2008-11-26, 19:40
Hello psnart45,

What is the current Service Pack on the computer, and is this XP Home or XP Pro?

psnart45
2008-11-26, 20:45
I have XP Home, with SP2 (or the recovered version after the failed attempt to upgrade to SP3).

Terminator
2008-11-26, 22:59
You could have some incompatible software on your computer and thats why it's not installing. Try ordering a hard copy of SP3 from HERE (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389).

tashi
2008-11-27, 00:05
I've been trying to download Windows XP Service Pack 3 to my home PC.
<snip>
preventing the SP3 installation for going through?

Two things are being discussed, the download failing and the installation. Is Windows actually getting to the part where it does say, "downloaded update, installing"?

Could you clarify please. :)

psnart45
2008-11-27, 04:47
I start by downloading the update from Microsoft's support website. The installation starts by backing up files, then it creates a "restore point", then I see it deleting files, then it starts copying files. It gets to a certain point, and then I get the error message "Access is Denied". the process is stopped, and the install wizard starts un-installing the update. It finishes with a note saying that Windows may not operate properly because the update wasn't finished.

The Microsoft support site says the "access is denied" message happens because of a registry error. It doesn't offer anything that has helped me get past the error message. I've tried 3 or 4 times to to the update, all failed with the same error message. The last file that I see on the screen being copied is FXSAPI.DLL Then the process seems to stall for a while - a minute or more, and the next thing that happens is the error message.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help!

tashi
2008-11-27, 05:30
Hi psnart45.

When you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3, you receive the error message "Access is denied" or "Service Pack installation did not complete"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

"Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3"
"Troubleshooting error codes that appear in the update log or in the service pack log files."
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Hope that helps.