PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Files Problem in Vista Business

spartan948265
2008-11-26, 06:53
Hello all!

I just upgraded with a freshly formated drive and fresh install of Windows Vista Business 32bit Edition.

I installed the latest version of Spybot S&D 1.6.0.30 w/ latest definitions. The problem is that when I open up the Shredder Application and I click on "Add files from the Temp folder" nothing appears. The version of the Files Shredder is (1.9.0.0). I know there has to be temporary files somewhere in ANY version of Vista. I think it's a bug because I have tried it on Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 and it work's fine. In Vista it says that Spybot is totally compatible so you think the button would function.

Thoughts? I don't mean to come across as rude it's just that I'm really frustrated.

PepiMK
2008-11-26, 09:53
On Vista, the C:\Windows\Temp folder needs admin privileges, so you need to right-click the shredder start menu entry and select "Run as administrator" (or click on the sherdder in Spybot after you've started Spybot that way).

That's the "total compatible" thing: MS requests the main app (SpybotSD.exe) to not ask for those admin privileges by default, but only upon request ;)

With the shredder being a separate app now, it still would not make sense to have it always ask for admin privileges by default, but it could indeed warn about this. A feature request has been added (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=367) :)