PDA

View Full Version : TeatTimer 1.6.3.25 is using 52 MB of RAM

tuser
2008-11-26, 07:55
Hi,
I uninstalled my Kaspersky because I needed a less restrictive AV.
I use Avast now as AV, Sygate Personal Firewall and TeaTimer.
I'm running my machine with this configuration since 3 days.
This morning I realized that TeaTimer is using mor than 52 MB of RAM!
This ist a lot and I guess not the regular condition.
What's wrong? Do I have to find the mistake on my side or is it
SpyBot's Bug?

Waiting for your reply...

tuser
2008-11-26, 09:05
I just checked my Laptop and it is the same, nearly 50 MB of RAM.
Could you please help me on that matter?

spybotsandra
2008-11-26, 15:10
Hello,

Which version of Spybot do you run?
Maybe an old version like 1.5.2?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

tuser
2008-11-27, 09:34
Hi Sandra

Thank you for your interest in my problem.

I'm using the SpyBot Version 1.6.0.30

Lancelot
2008-11-27, 09:51
This morning I realized that TeaTimer is using mor than 52 MB of RAM!
Only 52 MB? Is that included the page file?

My Teatimer is currently using 43492 kB (RAM) + 50900 kB (page file). That is a total of 94392 k!!

I think it's way too much. I often quit the Teatimer.

Edit,
Spybot 1.6.0.31.
TeaTimer 1,6,0,30.

DougCuk
2008-11-27, 10:12
Around 50MB appears to be normal for Teatimer - mine uses 49,616k - so just short of 50MB. And I believe this is using "Conserve Memory" mode (which is the the default).

I have studied several forum posts over the last few months - as Teatimer has gone through several revisions - but never really understood why it needs to reserve so much memory even when not actively checking processes.

On my system it is the second largest chunk of RAM used (49MB) - only beaten by AVG v8 Free (56MB) - with Explorer the only other app above 30MB. I agree it does seem excessive RAM use for what it is - and if you are only running with a minimal RAM setup (256MB on XP / 128MB on W98) it becomes a real issue - as 50MB is a significant loss.

However I choose to add more RAM - as it has all round benefits on smooth running and response times - and accept the problem of Teatimer stealing so much RAM.

Lancelot
2008-11-27, 10:42
And I believe this is using "Conserve Memory" mode (which is the the default).
Modes? Where can you select modes?

Greyfox
2008-11-27, 10:57
Lancelot,

It is actually registry tweaks. The attached .zip file contains two registry tweaks, one to have Teatimer conserve memory (but take longer), and one to process faster at the expense of using more memory.

At around 50MB yours is running at the default mode which conserves memory. In the other mode, you can expect memory usage in the order of 140MB and Peak usage around 160MB.

tuser
2008-11-27, 11:31
Lancelot, 50 MB is the amount wich I see in the taskmanager.
How do I check how much swapped memory the process is using?

Lancelot
2008-11-27, 23:21
Lancelot,

It is actually registry tweaks. The attached .zip file contains two registry tweaks, one to have Teatimer conserve memory (but take longer), and one to process faster at the expense of using more memory.

At around 50MB yours is running at the default mode which conserves memory. In the other mode, you can expect memory usage in the order of 140MB and Peak usage around 160MB.
Thank you. :)
I don't know you and I'm not sure if I should download a registry tweak from you. But if the default mode is using the least amount of memory, then I don't need a tweak. I want everything to use as little memory as possible.

Lancelot, 50 MB is the amount wich I see in the taskmanager.
How do I check how much swapped memory the process is using?
In Task Manager, open the menu that says "show" or something similar in English. Go to the "edit collumns" (or whatever the English version says).

You'll see that Task Manager can tell you many things...
Now check the Virtual Memory checkbox.

Oh, now my TeaTimer uses only 1836 kB of RAM! (Plus 51 MB paged.)

When I said it used a total of about 94 MB, I think it was about 15-20 minutes after startup.
Now the pc has been on all day long. It seems the TeaTimer uses less memory in the evening....

Greyfox
2008-11-28, 00:21
Lancelot,

There are no real benefits from adopting a policy of keeping real memory usage to a minimum regardless, if you have plenty of it to spare. In fact in many cases the use of more real memory can bring advantages in performance, and Teatimer is an example of this.

The default mode (conserving memory) allows it to be used "as is" by a wider range of users, however if you do have 1GB to 4GB memory now common in newer machines, then the alternative mode using more memory (but still really a drop in the bucket) gives a significant performance improvement.

Whilst fairly large, the following thread will give you some background about some of the changes to Teatimer.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30994

Lancelot
2008-11-29, 00:22
Lancelot,

if you do have 1GB to 4GB memory now common in newer machines, then the alternative mode using more memory (but still really a drop in the bucket) gives a significant performance improvement.
My pc predates Vista. I have upgraded the memory department alot, it's now 320 MB. For older software it is more than enough. But I can't let everything not needed run in the background.

Thanks for the link.

lilacbay
2008-12-16, 00:08
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=37012&highlight=lilacbay

from my posting (listed above) I have had no answer as to Why TEATIMER requires CPU - allocation.

I cannot figure out WHAT Teatimer does with this hog of cpu - there seems to be no one answering besides " guess its 'normal' " and " you can turn it off" - Why is it here anyway - I thought it was to help w/spy cks some how

just adding that there are more people querying the hogness of Teatimer....

bitman
2008-12-16, 06:44
lilacbay,

After reviewing your posts in various threads, it would appear your problem is less related to RAM than processor, so this thread isn't the appropriate place to discuss your issues.

However, since you've posted here, in your case I believe you should be concentrating on looking for something interacting with TeaTimer. Since even my Windows 2000 based PII 400MHz, 512MB, 6.4GB/8.4GB HDD system can complete a spyware scan in about 1 1/2 hours, and only lags a bit at system startup, I really suspect you've either got malware or simply some sort of software conflict.

The common suggestions in this case are to disable all other security software temporarily as a test and if that doesn't help, post in the Malware Removal forum to determine if malware might be causing the issue.

Bitman