PDA

View Full Version : About Deceptive Marketing

xpsunny
2008-11-26, 19:21
Hello,

Take a look here:

http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfile.html?productid=SUPERANTISPYWARE

The "Today only Scheme" is prevailing more than 2 years! It virtually forces the viewers to immediately buy the software via credit card, by providing fraud information. I think the image should either be blocked via Host file or adding it to the restricted zone.

PepiMK
2008-11-26, 19:32
That behaviour is indeed illegal in Europe. Not sure about the U.S.

Wait... what did I just read on that website, in the Company profile? Its founder was founder of PanicWare, Inc. as well? The same popup blocker company PanicWare that distributed pirated Spybot-S&D copies as their own some five years ago?

xpsunny
2008-11-27, 12:58
OH MAN!!! That's a horrid news! Shouln't a legal action be taken against them?

xpsunny
2008-11-27, 13:01
Have you analysed SAS's behavior deeply, and found anything malicious? I'm sure they are hiding something from the customers.

PepiMK
2008-11-27, 18:34
Well, it's usually consumer protection associations who take action there. Direct competitors are entitled to file improper competition as well, but we probably have neither the time nor would we want to waste money on taking action against a U.S. company in Europe ;)

Btw, "raising" the price only to offer a discount is also illegal. Naming a regular price of $59.90 just to offer a rebate, while it obviously is only $29.95, is improper as well.

And bad advertising... just a week ago I received spam from PC Tools... many are currently stepping slightly over borders I'm afraid :mad:

xpsunny
2008-11-27, 19:35
When there is a war between the good and the evil, the good always wins--it's a universal law.

You have power to at least use your software to tap such deceptive evils.

You certainly can either block such stuff via host file or via immunization. There has to be a start from somewhere. Why not you guys take the initiative!

voltra
2008-11-28, 17:21
Superantispyware is, from everything I've ever read about it, an excellent anti-spyware program that excels at detecting and removing the worst stuff (Virtumonde, rogue AVs, etc.). I know their name is...an interesting choice for a real anti-spyware program and the main site seems a little strange with the typos and what you already mentioned, but a lot of people say it's excellent, though I don't use it myself.

SUPERAntiSpy
2008-11-30, 18:51
That behaviour is indeed illegal in Europe. Not sure about the U.S.

Wait... what did I just read on that website, in the Company profile? Its founder was founder of PanicWare, Inc. as well? The same popup blocker company PanicWare that distributed pirated Spybot-S&D copies as their own some five years ago?

Panicware NEVER distributed Spybot, or any other product illegally. We actually worked with SpyBot and provided you lots of advertising, downloads, t-shirts, etc. etc. You are confusing Panicware with the other couple of companies that tried to modify and steal your engine/database years ago.

XPSunny is trying to slander SUPERAntiSpyware because he/she was banned from our forum for submitting legit programs such as SpyBot as "malware" so we would include it in our definitions to falsely remove it. Now that he/she has been banned, they are posting on all security forums. We have legal action started in India to handle this with XPSunny.

Nick Skrepetos
SUPERAntiSpyware.com

SUPERAntiSpy
2008-11-30, 18:52
Well, it's usually consumer protection associations who take action there. Direct competitors are entitled to file improper competition as well, but we probably have neither the time nor would we want to waste money on taking action against a U.S. company in Europe ;)

Btw, "raising" the price only to offer a discount is also illegal. Naming a regular price of $59.90 just to offer a rebate, while it obviously is only $29.95, is improper as well.

And bad advertising... just a week ago I received spam from PC Tools... many are currently stepping slightly over borders I'm afraid :mad:

SUPERAdBlocker sells for $29.95 and SUPERAntiSpyware sells for $29.95 == $59.90 - we are offering the BUNDLE together for $29.95, thus 50% off - nothing illegal is being done there, that is a discount of 50%.

PepiMK
2008-11-30, 19:18
You actually worked with us... until you started to renamed Spybot-S&D to "PanicWare Spyware Remover" or something similar, which caused a very similar confusion among users that the "modifying" companies did.

Sorry about the pricing confusion! The initial violation still stands though (for Europe, can't say anything about the U.S.): offering a "one day only" deal when its available for months actually is illegal here. But as I said before, it's the kind of illegal marketing everyone seems to do these days - of a "low" kind, like getting ads in your mailbox even though you've printed "no ads" on it or like grocery stores advertising something very cheap to lure customers to their place and then telling people their limited stores are already emptied, while they're required to sell the advertised thing for at least three businness days for the advertised price. Cases where you usually pay a fine of around 50k to 300k.

I'm more inclined to fight the bad guys though, that's why I already said I would leave such things to consumer protection agencies ;)

SUPERAntiSpy
2008-11-30, 19:48
You actually worked with us... until you started to renamed Spybot-S&D to "PanicWare Spyware Remover" or something similar, which caused a very similar confusion among users that the "modifying" companies did.

Sorry about the pricing confusion! The initial violation still stands though (for Europe, can't say anything about the U.S.): offering a "one day only" deal when its available for months actually is illegal here. But as I said before, it's the kind of illegal marketing everyone seems to do these days - of a "low" kind, like getting ads in your mailbox even though you've printed "no ads" on it or like grocery stores advertising something very cheap to lure customers to their place and then telling people their limited stores are already emptied, while they're required to sell the advertised thing for at least three businness days for the advertised price. Cases where you usually pay a fine of around 50k to 300k.

I'm more inclined to fight the bad guys though, that's why I already said I would leave such things to consumer protection agencies ;)

I left Panicware almost 5 years ago, so if they did something like that after I left, I am sorry to hear that :( As for the ads, they come up and down during the week, thus, they are one day specials at the time they are viewed by the users. We also can offer "Special offers" that run with no time limit and those are not in violation of any laws in the US or Europe, as far as my counsel has advised. Anyways, I would be very careful about XPSunny, he/she has submitted real programs as samples and then tried to "force" us into putting in the MD5's and definitions, etc.

xpsunny
2008-12-01, 11:47
Panicware NEVER distributed Spybot, or any other product illegally. We actually worked with SpyBot and provided you lots of advertising, downloads, t-shirts, etc. etc. You are confusing Panicware with the other couple of companies that tried to modify and steal your engine/database years ago.

XPSunny is trying to slander SUPERAntiSpyware because he/she was banned from our forum for submitting legit programs such as SpyBot as "malware" so we would include it in our definitions to falsely remove it. Now that he/she has been banned, they are posting on all security forums. We have legal action started in India to handle this with XPSunny.

Nick Skrepetos
SUPERAntiSpyware.com

FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE ACCUSION!

@PepiMk, please ban SuperAntiSpyware's handle, look how un-prefessional he is behaving! I am totally sick of his false accusions.

@SuperAntiSpyware, if you have guts just PROVE what you are saying. Since you are caught red handed, please don't distract the readers by posting such FALSE accusions.

This is Spybot S&B forum, we discuss here how to keep the bad guys out, no matter if it's about fraud adds or malwares.

xpsunny
2008-12-01, 14:10
I left Panicware almost 5 years ago, so if they did something like that after I left, I am sorry to hear that :( As for the ads, they come up and down during the week, thus, they are one day specials at the time they are viewed by the users. We also can offer "Special offers" that run with no time limit and those are not in violation of any laws in the US or Europe, as far as my counsel has advised. Anyways, I would be very careful about XPSunny, he/she has submitted real programs as samples and then tried to "force" us into putting in the MD5's and definitions, etc.

You have openly admitted that you were working for the PanicWare.

The ads don't seem to come up and down....:blink:

You also have admitted that you are Nick Skrepetos ( take a look in the previous post) and you are the founder of PanicWare who pirated Spybot (see SAS company information).

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/9724/34803870fh6.jpg

And what did you say last? Legal Action?? Huh! For what?? For creating a thread about the "One day Scheme".....and your IMAGINARY accusions on me about the false negatives which YOU transformed as legit software, well I am sorry IF I had accidently submitted legit softwares, but you're blowing a few incorrect samples (if they exists) out of proportion....

Simply saying sorry does not reverse the time axis.

SUPERAntiSpy
2008-12-01, 16:51
You have openly admitted that you were working for the PanicWare.

The ads don't seem to come up and down....:blink:

You also have admitted that you are Nick Skrepetos ( take a look in the previous post) and you are the founder of PanicWare who pirated Spybot (see SAS company information).

And what did you say last? Legal Action?? Huh! For what?? For creating a thread about the "One day Scheme".....and your IMAGINARY accusions on me about the false negatives which YOU transformed as legit software, well I am sorry IF I had accidently submitted legit softwares, but you're blowing a few incorrect samples (if they exists) out of proportion....

Simply saying sorry does not reverse the time axis.

XPSunny you have tried to make a public accusation of SUPERAntiSpyware - I will defend it - it is my company - I won't tolerate your actions.

During my time at Panicware, they NEVER distributed anything illegally, we created all of our OWN SOFTWARE (I was the author and development leader). As far as Panicware pirating anything, that also is an accusation, as far as I know there was nothing in a legal venue.

You know you submitted programs as spyware and pressured me and my team to "put in the definitions" - remember, I have all the posts and PM's XPSunny. We also have posts from other forums which other Admins forwarded to me from the same IP's you posted on our forum from where you were possibly distritubing cracks and warez codes.

You really need to stop trying to harm SUPERAntiSpyware and move onto something else - you are wasting everyone's time here. It's quite pathetic.

tashi
2008-12-01, 17:44
Hello,

I can foresee this becoming a continuation of the topic at Wilders which was closed.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=225807&page=3

Everyone has said their piece and therefore this thread is also closed.

Best wishes. :)