PDA

View Full Version : Very slow scanning

Pamelab
2008-11-27, 02:02
After downloading all updates, the scan is so slow.....only third done in over an hour.....both scans as I exited, then tried again. I have never had this problem before with SP.
Pamelab

drragostea
2008-11-27, 05:05
What version of Spybot-SD are you running? What Operating System?

What is "SP"?

Pamelab
2008-11-27, 08:29
:oops: Sorry I didn't give you all the information, as I have'nt had this problem before.
I have Spybot S&D 1.6.0 (SP) and have WinXP SP3. It was OK until this morning when I updated.

Buster
2008-11-27, 12:38
Do you run any other antivirus/antispyware software using a real-time protection guard or something similar?

vipergg
2008-11-27, 18:40
After downloading all updates, the scan is so slow.....only third done in over an hour.....both scans as I exited, then tried again. I have never had this problem before with SP.
Pamelab

Having the same issue , mine is a older Win ME machine running 1.5.2 version . Machine is Pent. 933 with 392 meg of ram and a 40 gig harddrive. Ran for like an hour and was barely 1/3 done , killed the scan. Never used to be that slow , maybe took 30 minutes at most.

Greyfox
2008-11-27, 23:51
It is probably worth noting that since July 9th this year, just after version 1.6 was released, the number of rules used by Spybot has increased from 176,938 to 340,806 on Nov 26th, an increase of over 90% or nearly double, so it is small wonder that scan times increase for any particular version on any particular platform.

If the number of things you are trying to protect against keeps growing, then the amount of time spend protecting yourself will keep increasing. If you don't update your hardware and software to be able to comfortably handle this extra workload in addition to the work you really want your PC to do for you, then at some stage you will have to decide which catagory will have to be sacrificed.

drragostea
2008-12-06, 21:45
A complete scan today with my Mozilla Firefox browser (3.0.4) using thee latest version of Spybot-Search&Destroy [stable] (1.6.0.30) completed in 15 minutes and 16 seconds with no problem. Didn't even have to clear any temp. files or cache. : l

:oreo:

Greyfox
2008-12-07, 00:46
A complete scan today with my Mozilla Firefox browser (3.0.4) using thee latest version of Spybot-Search&Destroy [stable] (1.6.0.30) completed in 15 minutes and 16 seconds with no problem. Didn't even have to clear any temp. files or cache. : l

:oreo:

There is a fair bit of difference between vipergg's 933Mhz P3 pentium with 392 MB ram and your 3GHz rig. :)

drragostea
2008-12-07, 02:24
Greyfox, it was just a mere comment, like a report. Probably directed toward P4, 3GHz users who may be experiencing the same problem.

I'm just stuck and I don't quite understand how it this slow scanning problem are affecting P4 users with 1GB RAM (just an example). You are right about the doubling of the threats and the lack of adequate resources for the modern cyberworld today, so that might explain the slow scanning times...

Greyfox
2008-12-07, 05:58
I'm just stuck and I don't quite understand how it this slow scanning problem are affecting P4 users with 1GB RAM (just an example). You are right about the doubling of the threats and the lack of adequate resources for the modern cyberworld today, so that might explain the slow scanning times...

drragostea,
Unfortunately the doubling of items being scanned for appears to have resulted in more like exponential increase in scan times. PepiMK's post below gives a better picture and explanation.

http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=261953&postcount=5

The increase in what is being scanned for, and resultant slow ups are occurring not just in Spybot, but also other software including AV programs.

Perhaps of interest, is a report of the scan time for Spybot dropping from 1 hour 48mins to just 32mins when the antivirus program (in this case AVG) and perhaps Teatimer (not yet confirmed) were disabled during the fault.

See the times quoted in posts 1, 16 and 17 in http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=37950

The effect may not be the same on different machines, but it would be worth those experiencing really long scan times to try this.

drragostea
2008-12-07, 18:10
Thanks Greyfox for the links, I'll look into it now.

CarefreeComputers
2008-12-09, 02:38
Pamelab

This might be a remote possibility, but is the offending system running anything like Boinc, seti or anything that runs the processor at 100%?

Ive come across people running that on their system and surprised that their systems run slowly!!!!

corseb
2008-12-09, 22:26
Pamelab

Hi, I am a new user!
My spybot was very very slow until a few months ago...Took like 2-3 hours to do a scan... It use to be much faster!

I checked today before asking here: I had 1.5.2 (I think it was .2 at the end) and to my surprise I had two versions installed (in c:programfiles/spybot, etc..the default path)... I uninstalled one, rebooted...uninstalled the other, rebooted.... I also cleaned the registry a bit with tools like regcleaner and CCcleaner...

So after all that I installed the version 1.6.0.3 and it appears much much faster!!!
:laugh:

By the way I was most of the time on XP Sp2, on a Laptop with DualCore2 T7200 at 2Ghz, 2Gb ram, Gforce 7900g0... Not too bad!

So maybe check on your programs files folder for a parasite older version??

Ha! even after uninstalling I found some files there called "plugin" I dont know... I got rid of them!