PDA

View Full Version : Viewpoint Media Player

bgelfand
2005-11-13, 09:20
While trying to view a gallery produced by Adobe PhotoShop Album, my computer tried to download Viewpoint Media Player. I did a Google search for "Viewpoint Media Player" and came up with a mixed bag - some say it is spyware; others say it is not.

I went to the Spybot Search and Destroy site and did a search which showed that "viewpoint" was added as spyware in the 2005-0-03 update. HOWEVER, when I checked the current Spybot products list (by SETTINGS -> IGNORE PRODUCTS), I do not find "viewpoint" listed. :confused:

Either I am looking in the wrong place, or viewpoint was removed. If it was removed, a notation in the update list would be appreciated. If I am looking in the wrong place, a pointer to the right place to look would be appreciated.

So, is "viewpoint" considered spyware or malware?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Merged. -tashi

bgelfand
2005-11-14, 21:37
I posted this in the main forum, but received no replies. Perhaps it was the wrong forum, so I will try here.

While trying to view a gallery produced by Adobe PhotoShop Album, my computer tried to download Viewpoint Media Player. I did a Google search for "Viewpoint Media Player" and came up with a mixed bag - some say it is spyware; others say it is not.

I went to the Spybot Search and Destroy site and did a search which showed that "viewpoint" was added as spyware in the 2005-0-03 update. HOWEVER, when I checked the current Spybot products list (by SETTINGS -> IGNORE PRODUCTS), I do not find "viewpoint" listed.

Either I am looking in the wrong place, or viewpoint was removed. If it was removed, a notation in the update list would be appreciated. If I am looking in the wrong place, a pointer to the right place to look would be appreciated.

So, is "viewpoint" considered spyware or malware?

Thank you in advance for the help.

tashi
2005-11-15, 04:46
Hello bgelfand.
I brought this topic to team's attention. Cheers. :)

TeMerc
2005-11-15, 08:32
Viewpoint has been coming bundled with AOL's AIM for some time now. the biggest objection to it is that it is not disclosed when your updating AIM, just comes with it. It's primary use is to assist with online games, if you do not play them, you can remove it along with WildTangent as well.

See this thread (http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20430) for removal instructions.

You should also read this (http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/2005/nov4.php#viewpoint) regarding Viewpoints latest ventures.

I usually advise users to remove it from their machines when diagnosing HJT logs. 99% of the time, no one misses it.

edeldoug
2006-03-24, 04:30
It is apparant that despite their protestations that ViewPoint is NOT
spyware... they ARE INDEED Adware and intend to be.

Please see:

http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3561546

As ViewPoint is pre-installed by a number of PC Vendors, and is included
with AOL and AIM as well as other - it is quite prevalent in terms of
installs. AOL is most egregious as it AUTOMATICALLY REINSTALLS ViewPoint
every time you open AOL if you uninstall ViewPoint. (Unless you know the
SECRET to turn it off - see:
http://edeldoug.blogs.com/thoughts_rants_raves_and_/2006/03/aols_forced_ins.html)

ViewPoint masquerades as a useful, innocuous, and misunderstood and maligned
technology to enhance your web experience. Seems it has little real purpose
beyond being a fancy graphics adserver.

FreddieKing
2006-07-08, 21:25
Forgive me if this has been covered (I am new to the forum) but why isn't viewpoint found and removed with spybot? It lacks notification, sends info back to its server, slows down your computer, sends you ads... to me this is definitely both spyware and adware. Why doesn't spybot find it?

I implore you o wise and benevolent makers of spybot s&d, remove all the files and registry keys this thing installs. And don't forget about the C:\Program Files\AIM\Sysfiles intallers. Thank you.