PDA

View Full Version : spybot related shutdown

shay57
2006-04-18, 21:57
Ive been using Spybot 1.4 for some time now and its always worked fine. Lately i have found that i cant run a complete check without it shutting down my computer, or rather, turning it off. I can update and immunise with no trouble

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, choosing a different version, but nothing works. My virus checker (AVG) tells me I have no virus.

Anyone else experienced this. Any thoughts on why.

Thanks.

md usa spybot fan
2006-04-18, 22:33
Spybot is quite CPU intensive. It is possible that the CPU overheating and the system is shutting down to protect the processor. Make sure that the fans are running and that dust is cleared from any ventilation ports in the case.

Similar problems:
Spybot causes shut down
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2163
PC crashes while Spybot is running
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2230
Spybot wont run
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2685

shay57
2006-04-20, 19:39
Yes!!! It worked. Thats amazing.

Thank you so much.

Massive relief here that it wasnt some vindictive virus.

:bigthumb:

xtopher
2006-08-23, 05:44
I had the crash using Spybot after updating. It just an instant reboot. I assumed it could be the update but after coming here to check the Support, I read about the overheating problem.
I have recently cleaned out my motherboard and heatsink for dust so im a bit puzzled.
BUT as its now crashing under NAV scan, which i guess also may be cpu intensive, its got me thinking. But its never crashed under NAV before, only Spybot.
My m/b has always run a bit hot, so im guessing that might try the scan after leaving the computer off overnight, to cool right down.
Running under Safe Mode, I guess, will overide any spyware or malware which might cause a reboot?
How about setting the Spybot scan to low priority and the Task Manager/Processes/Spybot.exe - to low priority? Might be less cpu intensive?
Interestingly, I do run Photoshop with huge images and some of the usage is cpu instensive, but it never crashes.
I have more than enough memory which is new, so I dont think its a bank of ram playing up either.

Shall report back with my findings.
Loved the reformat and install post!!:laugh:

md usa spybot fan
2006-08-23, 06:58
xtopher:

An overheating problem normally causes the system to power off not just reboot.

xtopher
2006-08-24, 06:04
xtopher:

An overheating problem normally causes the system to power off not just reboot.

Yes md, I did say that my system was recently cleaned but these forums are ever so sure that all spybot crashes are overheating!
*But I had some time way back, a memory failure, as the ram chip was breaking down under intensive use, probably the heat. With completely different results....freezes, reboots, power offs. Changed the offending bank and cured*
As my mobo has always run hot, i built a large fan blowing extra air into the chassis, so its keeps it cooler. In conjuction wuith a heatsink and cpu fan of course.

Anyway, my cure was to first do an online scan. Trend first.
It came up with the usual cookies and trackers but also one spyware/malware. I didnt get time to note it down but as trend tried to remove it the sys rebooted.

I then tried Panda. Panda never found anything but pskill, which it states is a hacker tool. It isnt.
BT Broadband installs pskill as part of its Motive remote help fixing tool for BB problems. Its part of an official installation package. So 1/10 for Panda. Most of you know its a legit process killer.

Starting in Safe Mode.........ran Spybot and it scanned fine. I can only assume it was some form of spyware that caused it to reboot. NAV also then completed a full scan, unlike previous attempts which rebooted.

So that looks like the answer. Some nasty shit onboard! Now gone.

Another day in the life of a windows user. Spending more time fixing shit than actually doing shit with an OS that constantly needs daily security patches (where my old Netware needed 1 patch a year before M$ killed Novell).
Tieing in the browser to the OS was ever such a good idea Bill. :(

Abbey
2006-08-27, 18:02
I'm one of those... who never had a problem scanning my laptop or desktop with Spybot and as I was scanning my laptop with Spybot it shut down my computer after it was almost done.

It's never happened before.