PDA

View Full Version : Trying to run ResetTeaTimer.bat, as according to instructions...

Tensai
2008-11-29, 10:10
I'm following the ''before you post a HJT log'' steps, so at one point you're asked to download http://downloads.subratam.org/ResetTeaTimer.bat

However, my computer seems to have this as a txt file and opens this with notepad... how do I change it correctly so that I can run this thing?

Greyfox
2008-11-29, 12:10
When you click on the link, it should download a file named ResetTeatimer.bat and when you double click on that file, it should run.

If it is not downloading with that name, try downloading it with Internet Explorer.

If it is downloading with the right extension (.bat) and it opens in notepad when you double click (left mouse button) on it, then you can try

(a) Click on start, click on run, browse to the file and then click OK

or

(b) Click on start, click on run, type in cmd and click on OK to open up a command window. Change directory to where you saved the .bat file, for example if you saved the file in C:\Temp, then at the prompt in the command window type in CD\TEMP and press enter, then type in ResetTeatimer and press enter.

Unfortunately I have no idea what operating system you have so I can only hope the above helps.

Tensai
2008-11-29, 12:39
When you click on the link, it should download a file named ResetTeatimer.bat and when you double click on that file, it should run.

If it is not downloading with that name, try downloading it with Internet Explorer.

If it is downloading with the right extension (.bat) and it opens in notepad when you double click (left mouse button) on it, then you can try

(a) Click on start, click on run, browse to the file and then click OK

or

(b) Click on start, click on run, type in cmd and click on OK to open up a command window. Change directory to where you saved the .bat file, for example if you saved the file in C:\Temp, then at the prompt in the command window type in CD\TEMP and press enter, then type in ResetTeatimer and press enter.

Unfortunately I have no idea what operating system you have so I can only hope the above helps.

MY OS is windows xp... I tried opening it in explorer, but then it just shows what it shows in the txt (bunch of commands etc)...

I saw your tips in the end of your post and I know 100% it will work, but I tried some stuff myself (unmarked the 'hide extensions of known file types', and saw it was somehow automatically named resetteatimer.bat.txt -> deleted the .txt and it finally showed an icon I recognize for bat files).

Thank you for your reply and help though!

EDIT: btw, can I also just completely uninstall spybot for now? That way I am sure nothing will interfere with the fixing of my comp...

Greyfox
2008-11-29, 13:12
btw, can I also just completely uninstall spybot for now? That way I am sure nothing will interfere with the fixing of my comp...

Yes you could, however if you are going to seek expert help in the Malware forum, the less changes you make the better. The expert that helps you will get you to remove it if he/she thinks it is necessary.

Tensai
2008-11-29, 13:22
Yes you could, however if you are going to seek expert help in the Malware forum, the less changes you make the better. The expert that helps you will get you to remove it if he/she thinks it is necessary.

Okay, thanks alot. I'll just follow the instructions carefully then...